Broadband & ISP,s

Big hitter 17:16 23 Feb 2006

If I was to convert to broadband and with a different supplier than my current ISP can I:-

a) close my subscription to my original ISP

B) keep my same email address with the new supplier.

I am not sure which Broadband to choose but I want to get clear in my mind whether I have to pay for two email suppliers.

Can anyone help.

Bighitter.

ade.h 18:51 23 Feb 2006

A) Yes, if you wish.

B) No.

For ADSL suppliers, try to avoid any that tie you to a 12 month contract.

Peter J 19:49 23 Feb 2006

Hi,
I think that for point B it is possible to keep the same email address.
I moved from freeserve dial up to BT Broadband and have retained my freeserve email address. Just a question of using freeserve server name in Outlook's POP3 setting.

Thanks

Pete

ade.h 19:58 23 Feb 2006

Dial-up accounts are a different matter; it's highly likely that it was a PAYG account, and so you have never needed to close the account as no contract or payments were involved. If you were on a tariff, then you have been very lucky to still have access to your email account. ADSL providers will not allow email accounts to be accessed after payment for these and other parts of your service have ceased. Email services are included, but are not considered to be free of charge.

bionicle 21:17 24 Feb 2006

Get a Hotmail account,(free). Then this can be permanent regardless of which ISP you are with. By using Two e-mail addressess you can keep your ISP one for those you trust online and use the hotmail one for the inevitable spam.

namtas 22:18 24 Feb 2006

You should be able to keep your old email account, just sort out the pop3 settings and you should be ok

ade.h 22:35 24 Feb 2006

I don't see how you can unless it is a free PAYG dial-up account and you don't close it. Not only that, but would have to with an ISP that does not operate a Plusnet-style lapse rule.

namtas 08:26 25 Feb 2006

ade you may be correct in this on reflection. If you close the account you can not use it.

johndrew 15:18 25 Feb 2006

If it helps, I went forom PAYG to broadband with Wanadoo and kept my account (the only reason I did stay) but when I was considering the upgrade I asked all suppliers I spoke with and each told me I would have to change my e-mail address.

ade.h 16:37 25 Feb 2006

I still have an old Tiscal address from PAYG.

It is still accessible through POP3 even though the dial-up service has been inactive for two years.

But of course, it would be a different story if I had been on a monthly tariff.

The best solution, which I now use, is to rely on addresses that are tied to your own domain names. That way, should I wish to migrate my domains to another host, I would just have to wait a day or so for the old service to finish and the transfer to go through and I could then re-create my addresses. Some suppliers may even re-create the addresses for you if you ask.

palinka 14:17 26 Feb 2006

It's usual to have a different email address when you switch to a different ISP whether the new account is BB or dial-up. BUT I believe it is possible to show in your emails your previous address, if you configure it that way while setting up your new ISP.
As for whether you can keep the old address and dial-up account without having to pay for 2 accounts - YES you can. If it was a monthly account you should cancel that (so you don't have to pay for 2 accounts)and use the same address with that ISP's Pay As You Go option. Then you pay for each Tel call connecting you to that account, but otherwise don't pay them anything.
You just pay for your BB account to whichever company you choose offering BB.
And of course when you've got the BB account up and running, you could use that to acccess the PAYG account of the previous ISP via the website of that previous ISP. So you don't need to even pay for a phone call to access that mail. I have BB through Pipex, but regularly access emails sent to me at a Tiscali address via the Tiscali website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?