Broadband help

computernerdiamnot 21:18 25 Mar 2004

Can someone help me please...........
Just got on broadband with virgin net and i am using a speedtouch usb modem. Connected and up and running using the filters but every time the phone rings and the phone is hung up at the end my connection is lost, i thought one of the main reasons for BB was you could access both at the same time. anyway when i try to connect it tells me there is no dial tone and i end up having to restart the computer. All help appreciated

Indigo 1 21:27 25 Mar 2004

You should not need to restart the PC just to connect to the net.

Did you install the drivers that came with the modem ?

Is it a USB ( external ) modem ?

You should only need to wait for the hardware to re-establish a connection before you can use your browser again.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 21:28 25 Mar 2004

Sounds like you have the filters mixed up somewhere along the line,how is it set now

Should be filter to socket then modem cable connected and phone if you have 1 on same line
or if using an extension ,extension to wall socket filter onm other end then modem in you may need a filter on both ends of extension if you useing a phone as well.

Regards.

Daveboy 21:30 25 Mar 2004

Make sure all connected devices are filtered (Sky connections/dial modems/ans machines).Remove all but 1 tele, does it still occur? Process of elimination here-plug another in and so on, culprit could be a faulty filter/phone.Could also indicate a high resistance fault on your line.

SANTOS7 21:35 25 Mar 2004

I run the same setup with virgin useing same modem and i have a filter at each end to make the phone line clear, do you have any call managers or an answering service that might interfere with your connection

computernerdiamnot 22:48 25 Mar 2004

I have my laptop in dining room connected via filter cordless phone base in living room filter connected but i just remembered the missus has a phone in bedroom couldnt really understand that one as we have two cordless. i will unplug the one upstairs and have a go.

computernerdiamnot 22:53 25 Mar 2004

Thank you all very much for taking time out to help me, i have banished the socket phone from upstairs and gave the wife the cordless.....TO MAKE CALLS ON........before you all get excited and everythings working like it ought to.

computernerdiamnot 23:01 25 Mar 2004

I have ticked the resolved tab on this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?