broadband filters again

highside 17:47 03 Apr 2004

On similar lines but not the same as Island Girl,
Since changing to broadband my normal BT line phone picks up FAX tones from my own FAX machine (when no Fax is incoming) HP the fax manufacturers tell me to make sure any phone extensions are two wire only (as is their line connector on the machine)
1)I cannot find any two wire extender cables in shops? They all sell 4 pin.
2) Would the broadband filters I have on my sockets mean I effectively have two wires anyway because if you look at the filter connectors they only have two gold pins?
Thanks for any help
highsider

Graham ® 17:57 03 Apr 2004

Good info on filters click here

For some reason, it was decided that filters would have their own ring capacitor, instead of using the one in the master socket.

If a filter has the latter connected through, and its own as well, strange things will happen! Especially if different types are on the same line.

Graham ® 17:59 03 Apr 2004

For telephone wiring click here

byfordr 18:43 03 Apr 2004

For reference...

Graham ® 19:32 03 Apr 2004

Now this is cutting edge technology. If an extension socket has pins 2 and 5 reversed, under certain circumstances this can complete a ringing circuit. See my 17:59 link. Check the socket the fax is plugged into.

If you swap the wire(s) on pin 2 with the wire(s) on pin 5, it may cure the fault. Just pull the wires out of the slot and re-insert using a small screwdriver, the slot cuts through the insulation to make the contact.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?