Broadband filter query

merc. 19:03 25 Mar 2003

we are getting broadband in our area in april and I would like to sign up for it, but have one query regarding the home security system i have fitted in our house, it has a digital communitcator which dials up a central station, it is not the redcare type,this communitcator is sealed inside the control box and wired directly into the phone line do i need to filter it like i have to do with the normal phone sockets if so what kind of filter do i need.
Merc.

anchor 19:37 25 Mar 2003

Whilst I know nothing about your security system, if it needs to use the telephone line to make a call, then I would say that an ADSL micro-filter would most probably be needed.

Obviously, you should check with your security company who will advise you on this, and make any necessary changes.

merc. 19:46 25 Mar 2003

I have checked with my security company but they dont know as i am the first to ask as broadband is new to this area
Merc

graham 20:33 25 Mar 2003

Ask your security company to fit a filter anyway, can't do any harm. Once on Broadband, Redcare on the same line is not an option, so make sure your line cannot be cut from the outside. Don't want to be alarmist (excuse the pun) but even with Redcare, which sends a signal if the line is cut, the crims have been known to cut the wires, wait for the police to come and go, and then break in!

acfc 20:34 25 Mar 2003

Your security company should know or at the very least could have found out for you if they had been interested.

Yes you require a filter for a digital communicator as it dials out in the same way as a phone ~ a standard ADSL filter will do.

If you have Sky Digital you will need a filter for that as well.

click here for all the info you need on ADSL

Switcher 23:25 25 Mar 2003

The filter only becomes active when a phone call is made on the particular device.

You are unlikely to be using the broadband service at a time when you are being burgled.

anchor 09:13 26 Mar 2003

I feel sure that you will need a filter. I have just tried my phone, with the PC switched off, and the filter removed. I found that, whilst I could hear the dial tone, there was a lot of noise on the line. This vanished, once the filter was reconnected.

This could cause problems for your security system. I would say you certainly need a filter to be installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?