Broadband and extension wiring

Graham ® 20:12 09 Apr 2004

A friends' boss asked me to look at his new broadband set-up. The line has an extension upstairs, but the modem won't sync on that. Neither will it on the master socket, unless the bottom cover is removed and the modem connected directly to the line.

Disconnecting the upstairs socket wiring, still no sync on the re-assembled master socket. Disconnecting the extension wiring on the master socket, sync OK.

No fault conditions on the wiring, which is fairly new standard BT external cable.

So, my question is, anyone experienced this problem?

mrdsgs 20:16 09 Apr 2004

you need to fit microfilters to all extension sockets that have a phone/fax/modem etc attached.

try unplugging all phones etc from any extension sockets before you test the adsl

mrdsgs

Djohn 20:16 09 Apr 2004

Not my field but sounds as though the extention is wired incorrect from the master socket.

Disconnecting the extention from the master socket seems to confirm this, as it will then work. j.

Gongoozler 20:18 09 Apr 2004

Hi Graham ®. The only thing I can think of here is that it appears that the modem will only sync on the connection that hasn't had the ring signal filtered off, i.e. when it is still on the 2-wire signal rather than the 3-wire version. Apparently some modems are fussy about this, and some filters include the connection to the ring signal. This link about adsl filters was given in a recent thread. click here

Djohn 20:18 09 Apr 2004

Extention = extension :o( Sorry.

Graham ® 20:22 09 Apr 2004

mrdsgs, not got to that stage yet!

Djohn, no, wired correctly. Just connecting the cable, with nothing connected at the other end stops the sync. Can only think of the capacitance in the 50 metre run. Might have to replace with Cat 5.

Graham ® 20:26 09 Apr 2004

Good thinking! But I could get sync on the master socket, but only with the extension cable disconnected. I will check that aspect on my next visit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?