Broadband DSL dial-up a nightmare

fullerbonks 16:07 27 Jun 2008

For years I have suffered broadband dial up every time I boot up. Now I am really fed up with it.I have only the 1 PC in the house, and I'm not in the least interested in networking.
Is there any kind Genius who can inform me of a Cheap system that will keep me permanently on line.It would feel great to boot up and know I'm on line.
I use Vista. I have contacted my ISP who say " whatever I buy to achieve this must be BT approved. They actually have my line, so I suppose they must be sure that it operates OK on BT. PLEASE HELP. PETE.

Clapton is God 16:38 27 Jun 2008

Not sure what you mean - "broadband dial-up".

Why not put a shortcut from your modem into the Startup folder, that should connect you as you boot up?

fullerbonks 17:00 27 Jun 2008

Thanks for your interest Clapton. Ever since the initial installation I have to click on "Connect to my ISP". It then goes through the routine of confirming my name and password, then registering my pc on the web, and evetually I get connected. It really tries my patience.
However I know there is a way of having the broadband permanently connected. I think it could be by using a 1 port dsl router. but I really would not know what to get.
I don't think there is any way of putting a shortcut from the modem into start up. If there is I don't know how!.
Pete.

Technotiger 17:05 27 Jun 2008

In IE Tools>Internet Options>Connections you should make sure that ... Never dial a connection. ... is checked.?

Woolwell 17:14 27 Jun 2008

I had to connect every time I booted up my PC with my old Speedtouch USB modem. The problem lies with the fact that unlike a modem/router it didn't retain the settings. So I don't think that Technotiger's solution will work.
A modem that retains the settings or a simple modem/router (non cable) should be ok. You will have to connect by ethernet and configure and if a router disbale the wireless part.

Woolwell 17:15 27 Jun 2008

"disable" not "disbale"

Technotiger 17:35 27 Jun 2008

I have always understood that Broadband and Dial-up are two totally different animals!

If you have ADSL then my comment above does apply - if you are only on DIal-up then it does not apply.

Woolwell 18:36 27 Jun 2008

Broadband and Dial-up are two different animals.
But although the ADSL line was live with the Speedtouch I had to do exactly the same as fullerbonks. It is not strictly speaking a dial-up connection but it looks like it. Every time after a boot up I had to connect. A modem/router solved the problem or a newer modem.

amonra 19:16 27 Jun 2008

Buy yourself a new modem/router and solve all your problems. They are available from £20 upwards (try EBuyer)and are permanently ON, no waiting for connection etc.

Technotiger 19:25 27 Jun 2008

Have a look at click here and take one of their packages and you will be given a free BtHome Hub router - I have one and it is excellent.

fullerbonks 12:10 28 Jun 2008

Thanks everyone of you for your generous help.I'm afraid nothing I've tried seems to work, so I have been looking for a cheap ADSL Router as suggested by amonra & Woolwell. I have found what looks like a nice little unit for about £15. The only problem seems to be that none of them say if it's compatible with Vista, they all seem to stop at XP. I don't know what to do.
Thanks,
Pete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?