Broadband Drops

jim63 06:04 27 Jul 2007

I use Virgin broadband but connection keeps dropping. Bt line is okay.

birdface 08:20 27 Jul 2007

Hi,Try Control Panel.Network connections.Right click local Area Connection and press repair,See if that shows any problems.Or control panel,Administrative Tools,Scroll down to DNS Client and make sure that it is set to automatic,Or unplug your modem for 10 seconds,Turn it back on and leave for 2 minutes before you try it,Or Internet Options,Connections,always dial my default connection is dotted,Apply ok.Or check your download speed with this.click here Virgin has being doing a lot of repairs lately ,and who are the last ones to know about it,Only the customers,

birdface 08:24 27 Jul 2007

If always dial my default connection does not work,While in there go to Lan settings and tick automatically detect settings,Ok.Apply OK.see if that helps.

Graham. 08:43 27 Jul 2007

Any problems before Virgin?

jim63 10:59 27 Jul 2007

Thanks,will try these suggestions. I don't think any problems before Virgin. I was with Tiscali before. When my year is up with Virgin I may consider another provider

martjc 11:18 27 Jul 2007

With broadband you should choose "Never dial a connection."

Then reboot modem. Once the lights look normal, reboot your router (if you have one). Finally, reboot the pc.

jim63 13:30 27 Jul 2007

Done speed test. 2460 kbps download speed
385 kbps upload speed
Is this okay

Dipso 13:46 27 Jul 2007

Depends on what speed you should be getting. If for example you were connected at the full 8 Meg that would be a poor result. It would fast enough for normal sufing but downloads would take longer.

birdface 16:12 27 Jul 2007

Speed test,I am with Virgin on 2Mb and my download speed is normally 1972kbps which is just about spot on,So If you are supposed to be on 4Mb your 2460 kbps is running fairly slow.But then again I have a cable connection which might make a difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?