Broadband dropped if incoming telephone call

JAS100 19:37 23 Jul 2009

Hi
If I am on the internet (ISP Orange) and I get an incoming telephone call the internet link is lost & I have to reset my modem. Is this a problem with my ISP, BT telephone line or my modem?

OTT_Buzzard 19:42 23 Jul 2009

I've seen this a few times (my own house included!) and has always been due to dodgy phone wiring.

If the problem only started when you went to orange then it's more likely a router problem.

canarieslover 19:42 23 Jul 2009

If its happening with broadband then it sounds like one of your filters is faulty. If its dial-up then you probably have call waiting enabled.

RobCharles1981 21:37 23 Jul 2009

I'm with canarieslover on this one try changing your filters to see if things improve.

JAS100 23:21 23 Jul 2009

Thanks for the responses. I've been with Orange & previously Wanadoo and freeserve (prior to each being taken over) and have had the same broadband router/modem for about 5yrs so I'll try the filters and see what happens

Regards
John

howard64 11:52 24 Jul 2009

this is a filter problem normally occurs when an odd piece of equipment that is used infrequently has not got a filter fitted. The same effect if one of the filters elsewhere in the property has stopped working. Could be a sky box, old fax machine or answer phone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone