Broadband download speeds.

pj123 18:13 08 Jul 2007

Where does the problem lie?

I am on Virginmedia cable BB at 4mb.

I am in dispute with them because I don't seem to be able to get anywhere near a 4mb download.

Apart from that I have just tried to download a 34mb update file from Nero and it downloaded in less than 2 minutes at 479KB/Sec.

I also tried to download a 7mb file from vixy.net and it took about 17 minutes at 8.2KB/Sec.

A Virgin engineer has been out to me and he tried a download from a MS site and then told me there was nothing wrong with my connection.

Does it depend on the site you are downloading from to what speed it is?

dan* 18:15 08 Jul 2007

" Does it depend on the site you are downloading from to what speed "

yes.

" Apart from that I have just tried to download a 34mb update file from Nero and it downloaded in less than 2 minutes at 479KB/Sec. "

That is 4mb speed.

VoG II 18:16 08 Jul 2007

Try this click here

birdface 18:41 08 Jul 2007

Hi.I am with NTL[Virgin] on 2Mb and just done a speed test,Mine was running at 1452 kbps.It usually runs about 1945Kbps,So its down a fair bit.Run that speed test from Vog thats the best one for cable.

birdface 18:49 08 Jul 2007

Don't know if this helps any,click here

pj123 18:53 08 Jul 2007

Thanks, VoG™. Doesn't help most speed tests show up as 4mb. I don't want to download speed tests I want to download real files from real websites.

For example I have Zonealarm 6.5 and I just tried to download Zonealarm 7 or something. It started at 28KB/Sec then went down to 7.1KB/Sec.

Absolutely useless.

My dialup connection when I had one was faster than that.

VoG II 18:57 08 Jul 2007

That sounds like a download server problem. Try from here click here

birdface 18:58 08 Jul 2007

If your download speeds are showing as 4Mb.The problem must be with your computer and not Virgin.

birdface 19:00 08 Jul 2007

Hi .If you have a look through this, you will probably find a lot of unhappy customers. click here

beeuuem 19:07 08 Jul 2007

Try click here which is just a test D/L , not a speed test, and gives a reasonably accurate result.

dan* 19:08 08 Jul 2007

You downloaded 34Mb in less than 2 minutes. The rate was 476K/sec. It should have taken you 1 minute and 11.428 seconds.

That is a 4Mb connection speed.

The speed from which you site download will depend on if it is throttled. The download speed will also depend on how many are using the same line as you. Try it at 2 O'clock in the morning and you get fast speeds. Do it at the peek rate of 8 O'clock at night and you will get a slow download rate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?