Broadband disconnection

steved 22:22 29 Jun 2005

A friend of mine is running XP with a Tiscalli broadband connection. It will connect to the internet first time but then, after a couple of minutes, disconnect without warning. It will try repeatedly to reconnect automatically but fail, because the login details (ie name and password) have disappeared. The only way to reconnect is to enter the details again, only for the same to thing to happen again!
I've reinstalled the modem and tiscalli account, and used SpyBot to remove a rogue dialler and spyware that was lurking on the PC, but the problem still occurs. Anybody?

Stevejd

Forum Editor 22:37 29 Jun 2005

as if something may still be lurking.

madPentium 23:43 29 Jun 2005

download adaware and update the definitions when installed. Run and see what it finds. It always finds stuff that spybot doesnt

click here

steved 12:19 30 Jun 2005

Thant's useful guys, thanks. Problem is, the broadband connection won't stay up long enough to download updated definitions - is there a way of downloading the definitions onto my own PC and then transfering them via a cd-rom?

Completealias 16:13 30 Jun 2005

Yes install adaware on your computer and then update it then go to the folder

C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal

copy the defs.ref file to a disk then on your friends pc install adware and copy that file into the folder listed above this will then update adaware on that pc and you can then run the scan, do a full system scan not smart scan

roygbiv 16:38 30 Jun 2005

perhaps you have a cordless DECT telephone? some dont work with BB.

steved 23:38 30 Jun 2005

Thanks Completealias, I'll try that over the weekend. Not a cordless DECT phone...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017