Broadband and dialup together ?

rdh660 09:56 22 Oct 2004

We are about to be provided with broadband in our village and I am thinking of using it. Might be a daft question but if I sign up with an ISP other than the one I use at present for dialup and leave my present modem in place will I still be able to use this connection if needed to solve broadband problems.

I suppose what I am asking is can I keep both types of connection and use either I choose at any particular time?
Thanks
Rob

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 10:03 22 Oct 2004

if it is ADSL your talking about,then yes,but speeds will go down slightly becouse of the exchange,if your talking about cable modem,then it shall make no difference,i think,someone please correct me if i am wrong.cheers.ben

MAJ 10:03 22 Oct 2004

Yes you will, rdh1, as long as you don't cancel the account with your present ISP. But if your present account is a monthly subscription account it would be madness to keep paying £15/month (or whatever it is) for the dialup account as well as the £20/month for the BB account. Best thing to do is to sign up for a PAYG (Pay as You Go) account with either your present ISP or another ISP. That way you only have to pay for the time you use the dialup account (in emergencies).

Graham ® 10:11 22 Oct 2004

PlusNet broadband includes a local call dial-up service for use when broadband fails.

rdh660 10:26 22 Oct 2004

Thanks to you all for the help. My present dial up is a pay as you go with no monthly subscription and I am intending to use ADSL broadband so the answer seems to be yes keep the present dialup for emergencies and install broadband as default access.

I must say I am always amazed at the willingness of people to give up their time to help in the Forum, sadly a rare quality in the world today....thanks all once again
regards
Rob

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 11:08 22 Oct 2004

you must know that you are not on any contract and your current service dials 0845 this number is a local call for free internet appart from the cost of a local call (1p per min usually).this means you won't have to worry a thing like you said use it as a back up.good luck with your ADSL provider.you know rdh1 it is great helping other people out,especially people like yourself!.have a nice weekend.ben

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?