Broadband Connection (WAN Miniport PPPOE)

onthelimit1 22:28 23 Aug 2012
Answered

Working on an XP PC. Under Network Connections, I see the usual LAN and Wireless Network Connection. In addition, ther is another icon headed 'Broadband', and labelled 'Broadband Connection 2 Disconnected WAN Miniport (PPPOE)'.

Never seen this before. Google not a huge help. Could somone give me a simple explanation please.

rdave13 22:51 23 Aug 2012

It's for a dial-up connectiions I think. Check that 'never dial a connection' is selected in internet options - connections tab.

northumbria61 23:24 23 Aug 2012
Answer

As per rdave13 - that is for dial-up.

onthelimit1 08:49 24 Aug 2012

OK thanks.

Secret-Squirrel 10:41 24 Aug 2012

"....ther is another icon headed 'Broadband', and labelled 'Broadband Connection 2 Disconnected WAN Miniport (PPPOE)'."

That connection is usually for folks that get their Internet via a PPPoE cable modem. In the UK, we use PPPoA so it's likely that connection icon isn't actually doing anything. I usually find that home users mistakenly create that connection by going through XP's "Create a new connection" wizard and choose the wrong options. If yours is a home user and it's causing problems then it's probably safe to delete it.

rdave13 10:55 24 Aug 2012

Thanks for that Secret-Squirrel as was unsure of the "broadband" bit. Always forget about cable connections.

onthelimit1 15:11 24 Aug 2012

Thanks SS - I'll delete it and see what happens (having other problems with this PC thread here)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?