Broadband Connection Supanet

maz2 22:48 21 Aug 2005

My friend is on Supanet Broadband, she called me today as she couldn't get onto the internet, it turns out that as soon as she'd cleared messages on the phone it was ok (1571)she has a cordless phone although I don't think it is a digital one, I didn't think that this would happen with broadband I know there was a problem with dial up and the 1571 message service, could it be the phone that's the problem as I've never heard of it before by the way she's running XP

Sans le Sou 22:53 21 Aug 2005

A neighbour across the road is on supernet and her broadband dials up as well - very strange. Do they have a dial buddy system where you pay a low rate for broadband and then "top up" or something along those lines.

maz2 23:01 21 Aug 2005

I've no idea because I'm sure she's paying about £19.99 a month which isn't cheap, as I say I've never heard of it before I fiddled around with it for ages got it to work and lo and behold the same thing happened later in the day, that's when it dawned on us what it was, the thing is she's had this broadband for a while and it has only been happening for the last few days, so I wonder if it's something they've just introduced

Sans le Sou 21:08 22 Aug 2005

I think the modem may need configuring, look for an "always on" setting instead of "dial when required" or something along those lines.

Daveboy 22:10 22 Aug 2005

B/band is not influenced by 1571 service, dial up might if the intermittant dial tone was there, hence clearing the messages would put normal d/tone back. Unplug the old dial up modem if its still in as a trojan could still exploit that. You sure the default is the b/band connection ?

maz2 23:18 22 Aug 2005

ok thanks I checked that broadband was default but I don't know if the old modem is still plugged in I'll have a look tomorrow

maz2 23:19 22 Aug 2005

ok thanks I checked that broadband was default but I don't know if the old modem is still plugged in I'll have a look tomorrow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017