Broadband connection regularly lost, no idea why

joeysdreamgarden 20:39 26 Feb 2011

Hi, I would be very grateful if anyone could please help me with a connectivity problem I have which is a complete mystery to me. For a few months now, I'll be connected to the internet (broadband provider is Pipex), then leave computer for 10 mins, come back and the connection is lost. I can only connect again if I switch machine off completely and on again - restart doesn't work. There doesn't seem to be any pattern or clue to why this is happening - our phone line seems fine and it didn't start as a result of new programs being installed. It is getting even worse in the last week or so, cutting out whilst using internet and very slow internet speed as well. Computer is Dell Dimension E520, 2GB RAM, OS is Vista Home Basic, version 6, service pack 1. Modem is external Speedtouch 330.
I hope someone can shed a bit of light on this problem, as I'm not very technically-minded.
Thanks for reading this!
Joey

Im a diddy 20:57 26 Feb 2011

this used to happen to me and the router was on its way out.replaced router and no more dropouts.not sure if this is the case with you but thought id share it.

woodchip 21:22 26 Feb 2011

Are you using a Ethernet Cable or Wireless?

STREETWORK 21:52 26 Feb 2011

If you are connecting the router directly to the PC using an ethenet cable then its more than likely down to the ethernet card drivers. Reinstall these and it may sort out the problem.

If conneting wirelessly it may be worth checking the ADSL Filters on the phone lines.

how many phones are being used, including Sky connection?...

joeysdreamgarden 01:06 27 Feb 2011

Hi, and thanks Im A Diddy, Woodchip and Streetwork for all your answers!
Im A Diddy - I don't have a router, the Speedtouch 330 is a basic ADSL USB modem, without router features... it seems to be working ok (ie it's error indication LEDs aren't telling me there's a problem). Thanks anyway for that idea.

Woodchip - neither, I have ADSL broadband.

Streetwork - I don't have a router, and I only have one phone connected; we don't have Sky.

If you have any other ideas, I'd be grateful for your help!
Thanks so much!
Joey

hastelloy 08:53 27 Feb 2011

'Woodchip - neither, I have ADSL broadband.' Woodchip meant - is your PC connected to the modem with a cable or by wireless?

'Streetwork - I don't have a router, and I only have one phone connected; we don't have Sky.'
You should have a filter between your phone and the phone socket. These can fail after a time and need replacing.

STREETWORK 09:56 27 Feb 2011

The Speedtouch 330 modem is known for it's faults. Perhaps you should upgrade.

If you are running this on VISTA or an earlier operating system that has been updated it may be possible to find and install new drivers for it.

click here

Regards...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:15 27 Feb 2011

Try disconnecting other phones /devices on the line to see if that solves the drop outs, probably a filter needs renewing.

palinka 10:22 01 Mar 2011

something similar to this has been happening to a neighbour's Pipex connection - in her case I found that the settings for her connection had somehow changed so that instead of always using the broadband connection it was looking for a dial-up (which didn't exist). Biut I agree about the speedtouch 330 , it's definitely poor - I had one once and got rid of it fast.

joeysdreamgarden 19:35 01 Mar 2011

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies!
Marvin42 - thanks for clarifying those things. My pc is connected to the modem by a cable, and yes I do have a filter/splitter between the phone socket and the phone... last night I followed Fruit Bat's advice (cheers Fruit Bat) and I unplugged the splitter and just plugged the modem cable straight into the phone socket, however I got the same problem with the connection going down, so I'm not convinced at this point that it's the filter at fault.

Streetwork - getting a new modem might be a necessity but I don't want to unless I know for sure that it's that which is causing the problem.

Palinka - your neighbour's experience with Pipex sounds interesting, please can you tell me what settings had to be changed, if you can remember? I have had problems with them (when it was Toucan) in the past. When I turn my pc on, the 'dial-up connection' box always pops up, although this has always been the case and I haven't been able to get it not to. Could this be related to the connection problem do you think? I'd be grateful for any advice about this which you could give, thank you!
Thank you again everyone!
Joey

johnnyrocker 19:45 01 Mar 2011

ref the dial up box i would suggest it is configuration probs, try TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/CONNECTION and make sure never dial a connection is flagged

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?