Broadband connection problem. Sysfader ?

SteveD73 11:57 23 May 2005

OK where to start...About a week ago I lost my Internet Broadband connectivity. I am with Bulldog. I have a binatone 500 usb modem and when I boot up it lights up and detects the adsl line as it always did. This leads me to think the line is good. Also if I go into network connections and select status I can see time ticking away.
However upon clicking the Binatone modem shortcut icon on my desktop nothing happens. Momentarily the egg timer icon appears then nowt..and for about 2 minutes after my computer is completly locked up. It won't allow me to open or select anything.
Eventually a small oblong window appears with an angry red cross saying something like the system cannot detect 192.111.1.2 ,please check and try again. This IP adress is where I ususlly log onto. It is a Binatone branded page and has info about my connection. It seems that my comp is not recognising my USB modem. Have tried the following:
Uninstall and reinstalling modem, several times, sometimes getting a msg that there was a prob and modem may not work...no kidding!

Running spybot, adaware, norton anti virus, shredder.....all find nowt.

The only other noticeable difference is that whenever I shut down my pc these days a window pops up saying a prog called Sysfader has not shut down and a grey bar progresses left to right as it attempts to finish. Here I get the option to cancel, but if I do it throws up the same msg...I am not sure if Sysfader is malicious or a proper prog on my PC. Think I've read it's to do with screensavers and display settings?????

Any help is much appreciated as I am a relative novice at this and don't want to bust bulldogs balls if I've caused the problem!!

Sorry for the huge post.

Cheers
Steve

Graham ® 13:22 23 May 2005

Trojan? Have a read click here

Graham ® 13:25 23 May 2005

PS. It's 5 pages!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017