Broadband connection cuts out when phone rings....

dj_stu 15:35 27 Oct 2005

I've got a dial-up broadband connection with Wanadoo and every time the phone rings, the broadband disconnects and i cannot re-connect until the phone is back on the hook. The phone and the broadband connection are both plugged into a filter that goes into the phone line. How can I resolve this???

cheers

w1z8rd 15:54 27 Oct 2005

Hi dj_stu don't know if it's the same as my forman at work but he had similar problem with homecall, and he had to put a filter on every phone socket in the house, I can't help personally as I'm on cable so I don't know what the norm is in this situation

flyingbrit 16:31 27 Oct 2005

yea it says in install guide you need a filter on each socket in the house, upto a max of 3

flyingbrit 16:32 27 Oct 2005

but that's for aol,.....I'm guessing it's the same for all adsl lines

g0slp 16:44 27 Oct 2005

All phone sockets on ADSL, regardless of ISP, need a filter.

A few days ago this problem started - investigation showed that someone had removed the filter from one phone "because there's only the phone plugged in here..."

GGGrrrrr.... non-technical staff..... ;-)

Mark

Jackcoms 17:01 27 Oct 2005

"yea it says in install guide you need a filter on each socket in the house, upto a max of 3"

That should read:

"you need a filter on each socket in the house which has something plugged into it ('phone, fax, Sky box, etc) and there is NO maximum".

wee eddie 18:23 27 Oct 2005

What type of phone do you have?

flyingbrit 05:32 28 Oct 2005

God I'm sorry!!!.....I'm thought it was obvious you only need a filter on a socket you've got somthing plugged into,and as for a max of 3,take a look on the aol install guide...that's what it says,but saying that it also says no more than a 10m extention cable and I've got 15m and mine works fine......britsdad

flyingbrit 05:34 28 Oct 2005

can't spoll either!!!!!!!I think the keys on this board are in the wring place...rofl

Jackcoms 06:59 28 Oct 2005

"take a look on the aol install guide"

Why? I'm not with AOL.

I'm with a proper ISP. ;-))

dj_stu 08:33 28 Oct 2005

firstly, i'm not sure why everyone is talking about aol - is that who everyone else is with (i'm with wanadoo).

secondly, we only use one phone socket in the house - that has a filter on it, which we plug one phone and broadband into. surely, picking the phone up shouldn't affect it if they are in a filter together?? any more help would be much appreciated!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone