broadband connection

GarethJones 12:08 28 Jan 2015

my pc is hard wired to my bt hub 5, for some reason i can now longer connect to the internet however all wireless devices are still connected. spoke to bt and they have gone threw a lot of things and they said i have to take it to a pc shop because my pc has a software problem because its not picking up my connection. ie LAN card my be broke! if i by a dongle would this fix the problem or does the card deal with that as well? Please help.

Jollyjohn 12:22 28 Jan 2015

A wireless dongle would resolve this issue.

To sort the hard wired issue - do you have a spare ethernet cable to try?

Go - Start - Control Panel - Hardware and look under device manager - are there any yellow exclamation marks or red crosses on your ethernet adapter?

GarethJones 12:29 28 Jan 2015

yes, there are 3 against Microsoft 6to4 Adapter, Microsoft ISATAP Adapter and Teredo Tunneling PSEUDO-iNTERFACE. Realtek RTL8103E FAMILY PCI-E FAST INTERNET NIC (NDIS 6.20) does not have an exclamtion aginst it

Jollyjohn 13:05 28 Jan 2015

OK. Realtek RTL8103 is you LAN card and appears OK. If you troubleshoot Network Connections, what does Windows report back?

You could disable the three devices with exclamation marks.

Also try - Windows key + R - CMD ipconfig /all - what info does this give?

GarethJones 13:27 28 Jan 2015

trouble shooter says:- the dns server isnt responding, disable the 3 other things all it gives me is a black box with C:\Users\owner

Jollyjohn 16:10 28 Jan 2015

DNS server is not responding. -Check connection properties on IPV4 - ensure - obtain dns automatically is ticked.

Google for this problem for other solutions, I am off to work now, will check back in morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?