Broadband Connection

TonyW2 09:03 02 Jun 2007

This is not urgent and is just to satisfy the curiosity of a computer illiterate.

Using Windows XP and a dial up connection I was getting along happily, until I succumbed to the blandishments of "free broadband" from Talktalk.

I have a master phone socket and an (internally house hard wired) extension socket near the PC. During set up, both sockets were fitted with (known good) microfilters and all phones disconnected.

1 The Smartax modem supplied would only work if connected directly to the master socket (via 15m ADSL cable) A borrowed SpeedTouch worked fine under all conditions. Iam told that the speedtouch has signal amplification circuitry which overcomes possible house wiring deficiencies. Is this correct?
2 Talktalk no longer supply this model, so I purchased a wireless Edimax ADSL+2 set up. (NB to others---This was an expensive solution and I now learn Speedtouch are freely available via eBay or under the Thomson brand name) This works fine.
After switching it on, it takes about 2 mins before the ADSL light goes solid and a WLAN light keeps flashing . Sometimes the ADSL will not connect at all, but I am told that this depends on the numbers trying to connect to Talktalk. Is this normal?

3 Under "Network Connections" the Speedtouch is shown under Dial-up (USB, ADSL PPP), although it is definately broadband. Why is this?

4 There are also connections shown under Dial up for Talktalk3(connexant soft56K DataFax) and under Broadband Talktalk (WAN miniport PPOE)as well as some for my former dial up provider. Should I now remove all the connections except my wireless one and is it adequate to "left click, delete"?

4 I am getting download speed of 355 and wireless connection 54Mbs with good signal strength from the extension socket. Is this OK or can I improve it?

Thanks for any response.

Jackcoms 13:04 02 Jun 2007

A lot of questions there, but I'll try to answer SOME:

1). Don't know.

2). 2 minutes for the the ADSL light to go solid is abnormally long. All ADSL/BB connections are affected by local contention ratios (the number of people trying to connect). But NOT to the extent that you cannot connect at all.

3). I have a Sagem BB modem and it also shows as dial-up. This is perfectly normal (albeit a little odd) for BB modems. Don't worry about it.

4). Yes, delete all other connections except your current one. They MAY be causing some conflicts.

5). You don't say what speed you are subscribing to but you need to tell us what that 355 is. Is is KB/sec (kilobytes per second) or kbps (kilobits per second)?

TonyW2 15:21 02 Jun 2007

Thanks.
Speed is currently showing 1.2 megabits/sec (& storage of 152.3 kilobytes/sec). Broadband supplier claims "upto" 8 megabytes/sec.
Regarding removing other connections; do I need to uninstall the relevant modem and connection programmes, or is it OK just to click & delete the connection icon showing in Network Connections?

TonyW2 15:22 02 Jun 2007

Thanks.
Speed is currently showing 1.2 megabits/sec (& storage of 152.3 kilobytes/sec). Broadband supplier claims "upto" 8 megabytes/sec.
Regarding removing other connections; do I need to uninstall the relevant modem and connection programmes, or is it OK just to click & delete the connection icon showing in Network Connections?

Jackcoms 16:23 02 Jun 2007

"Speed is currently showing 1.2 megabits/sec (& storage of 152.3 kilobytes/sec). Broadband supplier claims "upto" 8 megabytes/sec"

Where are you getting your speed figures from?

I assume that "1.2 megabits/sec" should actually read 1.2 megaBYTES/sec. In which case that's desperately slow - but I guess the culprit is the 15m extension cable you mention.

Yes, remove all old modems (via Add/Remove Programs) and all old connections in Network Connections by right-clicking on them and choosing 'Delete'.

Then use click here to clean out any leftovers.

Jackcoms 16:36 02 Jun 2007

Oops, sorry, mixing up my megabits and megabytes. You were correct in saying 1.2 megabits - but it's still desperately slow!

TonyW2 17:28 02 Jun 2007

Speed figures are from a site Broadwidth Place speed test. They seem consistent over a few checks.
They are pretty meaningless to me.
The long trailing extension cable is not in use. I am using wireless modem from the house wiring extension.

Jackcoms 17:48 02 Jun 2007

Never heard of that speed tester. Can we have a link, please?

Or try here click here for a well-respected speed test.

You say the speed test is "pretty meaningless" to you.

Simplistically, if you are getting 1.2Mbps you are achieving something like 15% of the 8Mbps you are paying for. Not a good deal.

Admittedly, the service is sold as "up to" 8Mbps, but still it's not good.

It might be cheaper to subscribe to their 2Mbps service if it's cheaper!

Stuartli 18:09 02 Jun 2007

The "up to 8MB" service depends on how far you are from your exchange - the further away the lower the maximum speeds which can be obtained. In any case a true 8MB speed is not possible, only just over 7MB.

You can download the latest drivers for your Speedtouch 330, plus the "up to 8MB" patch, from:

click here

If at all possible you should really use the Master socket for broadband connection.

TonyW2 18:25 02 Jun 2007

The bbmax test you suggest produced 280 kbps download speed and 369 kbps upload.
I am getting out of my depth with the different units.

(If I knew how to insert a link into this post I would gladly do so. Best I can offer is that I got click here from a Google link).Trying this again still indicates the figures mentioned, but has an indicator of "Good."

kindly 21:12 02 Jun 2007

I am with talktalk and you will not get the 8mbts they say that its up to. I only get 1.7. and I am on the up 8mbts aswell.
Anyway, are you able to got wireless. that will cut out all the wires and lift up your speed up hopefully. Dont bother trying to get any sense of talktalk because they are useless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?