broadband connection

deaco 21:02 28 Aug 2006

i am running 98se and have recently gone to broadband.if i dont go online quickly after booting up it says unable to detect modem etc.So i have to resart then go online and it works fine then.Any ideas please?

brundle 21:41 28 Aug 2006

Broadband via cable modem, or ADSL (connected to phone-line)? What make/model modem? Which ISP?

deaco 22:25 28 Aug 2006

brundle its an adsl connection using speedtouch 330..thanks

Giggle n' Bits 23:38 28 Aug 2006

all versions of windows takes a few second or a minute of two to settle and tune into your phone line then the Green light ADSL stops flashing and stays solid Green. This is normal.

Cable on the other hand connects as soon as windows xp fully loads and settles.

Win98Se is a bit old and running the Speedtouch may have its times with driver issues as the broadband drivers and the speed of the data flow works better on a XP system than a Win98SE and ME.

A easy way than re-starting is to go to connect then click cancel then go to reconnect I found this with my older machine it like gives it a kick up the bum. I take it you have the Black coloured 330 then these requre newer drivers than supplied on the disk I think are you with TalkTalk or Orange ? other...

also sis chipset machines requires the Full SpeedTouch release driver to correct a actual ready state for the 330 modem.

Then theres the case of the USB ports and the power supplied to the modem, a powered usb hub may improve things like a belkin running of its own power adapter as 500ma is fine and 100ma is the older and will struggle at times.

have a look at click here and look for the "Extended Reach" Driver

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?