Broadband connection

tykesutd 17:18 03 Feb 2004

I have a Desktop PC and a laptop.
I DO NOT want to network them.
I DO want to share the broadband connecction.
At the moment I have 2 ADSL modems, one connection to each PC/laptop but I cannot connect both of them to the broadabnd line at the same time.
WITHOUT networking can I just have ONE modem/router that each can connect to and just have one cable to the telephone socket. If so how do I do it please?

Allan

bremner 17:29 03 Feb 2004

The way to share the connection so that both can use it at the same time is some form of networking.

At its simplest that would be a crossover cable connection between the two machines.

Machine one would connect to the modem via USB or ethernet. Machine two connects to machine one by ethernet.

This will mean one network card in machine two and either one or two in machine one depending on whether the connection to the modem is by ethernet or USB.

Sir Radfordin 17:33 03 Feb 2004

You would need to buy an ADSL Modem Router (assuming you have ADSL and not cable) and then plug PC and Laptop into that using CAT5 cable.

This will however also network them but that makes little difference if you don't plan on using the 'network'.

tykesutd 17:41 03 Feb 2004

Hi Sir Radfordin
I have ADSL not cable. Am I correct in saying that the router would act as a hub and connect to the telephone socket and the PC and laptop would be connected to the router by CAT5 (Not Crossover) cable. Is that it?

bremner 17:44 03 Feb 2004

The crossover cable is the simplest form of sharing and needs no router but needs both machines switched on at the same time.

If you use a router then just normal CAT5 cable is all you need.

Sir Radfordin 17:49 03 Feb 2004

bremner - sorry but I disagree. A router is by far the simplest method and it means both machines can connect independently of each other.

Few ADSL modems can be connected to a normal router so you need to buy a router with the ADLS modem built in. You plug the router into the phone line and a power source (normal plug!). And then plug one computer into one port using CAT5 cable/RJ45 plugs and the other into a different port using identical cable.

If you don't have file/print sharing enabled on either PC they won't be able to access each other but will both have a gateway to the internet.

bremner 17:58 03 Feb 2004

We'll have to agree to disagree on the simplicity.... but I totally agree that using a router is the better method and the one I would choose.

tykesutd 18:02 03 Feb 2004

Do you think that this router will do what I am trying to acheive.

USR SURECONNECT ADSL MODEM & 4 PORT ROUTER

bremner 18:47 03 Feb 2004

Yes it would but you may find better VFM with Linksys, Belkin or D-Link

Sir Radfordin 19:03 03 Feb 2004

Could try: click here

GibsonSt19 19:07 03 Feb 2004

click here for a well priced four port modem/router, and click here for a 1 port verion.

If you're ever looking for a cheap but quality ADSL Modem, click here.

Hope that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?