Broadband connecting too quickly

silverfox2 22:24 04 Feb 2005

Whenever I boot up,just after the desktop appears,my computer tries to open the broadband connection before the modem has stabilized and I get a message "no modem found". I close this down and then the connection is made as normal.Where can I find the setting to stop the connection attempt being made until I'm ready to open IE?

Gongoozler 22:39 04 Feb 2005

You must have a startup entry for your internet connection somewhere. The most obvious place to look are in msconfig (Start - Run - msconfig, then click on the Startup tab). In XP, also look at the services (Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services), then look at the properties of each service. This is a very powerful tool, so be careful what you change.

silverfox2 23:12 05 Feb 2005

Thanks Gongoozler.
Ran msconfig and traced the problem to three items:
"ebaytbdaemon" and two others which have a load of squares as the name of the startup item.I've unticked these items to disable them and the computer behaves normally as long as msconfig is left in "selective startup mode".All items are located in the registry but I cannot read the full path as they are too long.Uninstalling the Ebay toolbar removes the first entry but how do I get rid of the other two?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Anybody else had this problem with the new Ebay toolbar?

Gongoozler 08:35 06 Feb 2005

Hi silverfox2. The items with a load of squares looks suspicious. Legitimate software always uses normal alphanumeric characters, so these could be spyware that has been planted on your computer. Try installing and running AdAware click here and/or Spybot S&D click here to see if either of those can find what they are.

silverfox2 19:20 06 Feb 2005

Already had Adaware installed but I did try Spybot S & D.The latter did find some problems but it did not find the two we been discussing.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?