Broadband bother

DAVEY D 10:19 07 Feb 2007

Hi PCA,

In the October 2006 issue 135 page 156-157
it mentions about checking out a broadband connection by connecting the computer directly the the master socket(via a good quality microfilter of course).
Can someone explain why you would do this surely you would NOT connect a microfilter between the master socket and the computer, as you are trying to let all of the broadband signal through, not block the high frequencies. Which is what microfilters do - as well as stopping reflections back up the line.

Surely microfilters are fitted to every thing else - extensions, phones, faxes etc.
And don't you need a modem or router/modem between the master socket and the computer in order to get broadband - unless it is fitted internally into the computer.
Please can someone help explain.

Andsome 10:32 07 Feb 2007

I use cable so this does not affect me, but as I understand it, without a micro filter you can't use the INTERNET and the phone at the same time.

ArrGee 10:35 07 Feb 2007

The microfilter is used to protect the DSL signal from being contaminated by any signal noise from your voice service, allowing both voice and data to share common inside wiring.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:46 07 Feb 2007

A microfilter is a small device that plugs into your normal BT telephone socket and SPLITS the line into both a standard BT telephone socket and a ADSL broadband socket.

You must have one microfilter connected to each BT socket, that has any device connected to it, on the line the ADSL service is enabled for even if you will not connect the ADSL modem / router to that socket.

The microfilter must be the first device plugged into the BT socket.

Failure to have a microfilter correctly installed on all BT socket you use may result in interference (buzzing noises etc.) on your telephone and / or reduced performance and possible loss of service on your broadband access.

If you have a burglar alarm that uses the telephone line it is important not to forget this needs to be connected through a microfilter. We also strongly recommend that you check the correct operation of your burglar alarm after installation of a broadband service on your telephone line.

DAVEY D 11:39 07 Feb 2007

Yes, I have been looking online for some pictures of microfilters and found one at BT.com
They usually have one input and two outputs(though others may vary).
I guess broadband signal is split in two inside the microfilter to give one filtered and unfiltered signal. The unfiltered signal goes too the modem/router/computer, and the filtered signal goes to the extension cable/phone/fax/set top box etc.etc. That's my guess anyway.
You can tell I don't have broadband, but would like to have in the future as. soon as I upgrade my computer.
Many thanks for all your help.
Any more comments welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?