Broadband on a boat

Furthark 21:33 13 Nov 2004

Hi I live on a boat, I receive my Internet connection between the boat and the BT box on the bank via a telephone extension lead.
Will I still be able to receive broadband via this lead or will it block it?
Thanks in advance, Futhark.

stalion 21:40 13 Nov 2004

Broadband uses the same line as your phone so you should be ok

Technotiger 21:41 13 Nov 2004

Hi,
in theory yes, you should be able to get broadband, provided of course it is available in your area. You would need a filter between extension and telephone, if more than one telephone then a filter for each. Good luck.

jimv7 21:43 13 Nov 2004

Only if the exchange your connected to has enabled b/b.

Furthark 21:55 13 Nov 2004

I have the filter, I can get BB, but I have a dacs machine fitted to my phone line, I have been trying for 6 weeks to get BT to remove it! you wouldn't belive the way they have given me the run around, even to saying the dacs isn't fitted (I watched the engineer fit it) they have finaly agreed to send out an engineer to test the line and see if he can find and remove it.
I wanted to know if the extension lead woud stop me getting BB before he comes out.

josie mayhem 22:03 13 Nov 2004

Sholdn't do, I run my broadband via an extension lead total lengh is something like 50-100ft, it's one of those ones that comes in caseing, that you unravel to the length you need.

I've had no problems running the either the broadband or phone.

When setting up, remeember that you will need two filters one on the end of the extension lead and one at the master socket, when setting the extension lead remember to it stright into the socket, then the filter into that, other wise you end up has I did, splitting the line and then joining it again, and then wonder why it all wont work.

Furthark 22:11 13 Nov 2004

Thanks all for your help.
josie mayhem. I do not use the main socket for a phone as it is on the bank, the end of the extension lead is used as the main socket (which is on the boat) so I will have to plug the filter into that.
Fingers crossed for the dacs removal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?