Broadband aol

LANDCRUISER 15:00 02 Dec 2004

i have just orded aol broadband silver version,what do i have to do to the pc when it arrives,just need to know so i can get pc ready. thanks in addvance for any help

crocodile36 15:50 02 Dec 2004

for it to arrive. If my experience is anything to go by, it will arrive with full installation instructions.
If anything goes wrong, you will find AOL incredibly helpful on their (free) phone helpline, though it can be tedious getting through.

LANDCRUISER 15:58 02 Dec 2004

yes i know that there will be instruction when it arrives,but i want to get some idea as what i can do to get the pc ready

lahorie 16:11 02 Dec 2004

Landcruiser - there is nothing to do, check to see your computer meets the mimimum requirements, your phone line should have been upgraded and all you have to do is to install the filters and the software. Any probs, as crocodile 36 said, free helpline and excellent service.

stlucia 16:18 02 Dec 2004

Don't worry -- provided your PC meets their minimum spec. there is nothing to do until the package arrives. Then its simply a case of plugging the filters they supply into ALL the phone sockets that are being used in your house (and then plugging the phones, faxes, dial-up modem, etc. back into the filters), and running the installation software on the CD they provide.

The installation software will tell you when to plug the supplied modem into one of the phone filters and one of the USB sockets on your PC, and when to power it up.

Diemmess 16:30 02 Dec 2004

Take Courage! .......As the on-screen instructions say - don't be impatient, just follow the prompts.

Patience could well be part of the "System requirements". There is NO chance of events getting ahead of you

Noelg23 17:21 02 Dec 2004

heres my first question what processor are you running and how fast is it? in other words is it AMD or Pentium 4? If its Pentium 4 is it faster than 2.8GHz? you will find out later why I asked...which of those is it?

CHAIRLEG 18:10 02 Dec 2004

Hi LANDCRUISER.I have been on aol now for 6 months.I started on silver but from very start i was given a free trial for 2 weeks on bb gold I decided to stay with gold.I have since moved on to Platinum.It's a doddle to set up so don't worry about it if I can do it anyone can.Noelg23 just wondered what your point is i have Pentium 4 2.6GHz and no trouble.

Noelg23 18:32 02 Dec 2004

If you read my post you will see I mention faster than 2.8GHz not 2.6GHz...the reason I asked is the Pentium 4 processors have whats known as Hyperthreading technology. basically when you insert the CD from AOL or BT (cos its only for BT Voyager modems) it will do a test of your PC to make sure it meets the requirements. what always happens is that once its done this test it says that your PC doesnt meet the requirements...why? cos it cant determine what speed your processor is cos it thinks its running 2 processors. yes there is a way around this...exit from the auto installation and locate your CD drive (usually in My Computer) and open the files in the CD look for Setup.exe (or Setup) and thats it. so if you have a Pentium 4 processor faster than 2.8GHz not 2.6GHz and its AOL or BT you have your broadband with then this is what you must do...ok...

CHAIRLEG 18:53 02 Dec 2004

Thanks for explaining,I thought that anything less than 2.8 wasn't up to the job. Only a beginner but trying.

LANDCRUISER 12:36 03 Dec 2004

thanks again,sorry i did not get back sooner,i have a MESH matrix 2000+quantispeed pc it was top of the range 3yrs ago,but sadley its been left behind now,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?