Broadband – on all the time or only as required?

musicbassman 19:10 19 Feb 2005

I changed to broadband a few months ago, and whereas some people state they only connect when necessary, others shake their heads in disbelief at this approach – they take the approach “If my computers on, then the internet’s on, and that’s that”

Those that only connect when necessary claim that you’re much more likely to get unwanted intruders on your PC if you’re permanently connected.

Opinions for and against please – I don’t know which to believe.

stalion 19:14 19 Feb 2005

It is a question of please yourself there is no problem with useing it as required that is all I do.Also you can leave it on all the time but if you do that you are also useing your computers resources unecessarily.But the choice is yours.
Regards

Djohn 19:18 19 Feb 2005

I tend to leave it on all the time mainly for people contacting me by email. Entirely up to each individual user though and will do no harm either way. Make sure you have a good firewall and an up to date anti-virus running when on line and you won't go far wrong.

mgmcc 19:21 19 Feb 2005

It is probably also complicated by the fact that some users, particularly with USB modems, actually have to connect to the broadband service.

With an ethernet connection, whether directly to a modem that supports ethernet or via a router, when the computer is running you are online to the internet - there is nothing to disconnect, unless you disable the network adapter.

Just be sure to have adequate AntiVirus, Anti-Spyware and Firewall software running.

Totally-braindead 19:26 19 Feb 2005

I'm one of the "switch it off when I'm not using it brigade". I play a lot of games and some of them are so resource hungry its better to shut most things down when running them. The other reason my BB isn't on all the time is I'm concerned that it'll increase the possibility that I'll get hit from a virus. I presume this is possible even if your browser and email program isn't open, perhaps someone could confirm this or deny it as the case may be. I naturally have antivirus which I frequently update as well as a firewall and use adaware, spybot and I'm trying the new Microsoft antispyware as well. I think the choice is yours to make, friend of mine has his on whenever the computers on, about 16 hours a day, and he tells me hes never had a problem.

Starfox 19:33 19 Feb 2005

Agree with Totally-braindead, I also play a lot of online games and think it best to disconnect from the internet when finished.Never had a problem with viruses or any other nasties but I put that down to AVG and Zonealarm.

josie mayhem 20:08 19 Feb 2005

Viruses, spyware, trogens ect, tend to get onto your computer via e-mails, down-loading from iffy sites. They don't generaly search out computers to infect (unless of course they use your address book, to send the virus on by e-mail!

The only thing that seeks, is an hacker, but there again they normanly go for bigger fish.

Or do has I do, don't shop or bank via the internet, or keep any personal details on the computer for them to hack.

So if my computers on, then the BB is on, via a router/modem and network.

fred 20:27 19 Feb 2005

I generally connect as needed but have no problems leaving it connected for two weeks or so when on holiday so UD can send/receive. AVG is set to update daily.

THE TERMINATOR 21:07 19 Feb 2005

As long as you have good virus and firewall software you have nothing to fear. I have Norton Internet Security 2005 it's always up to date, and am always connected when the pc is on, have had no virus or hijack

VoG II 21:09 19 Feb 2005

Cable broadband on all the time. Of course I'm hiding behind a router's hardware firewall plus a software firewall and anti-virus.

Never had a problem related to this.

Dorsai 21:10 19 Feb 2005

My PC is on 24/7, 365. [email protected] dials out when it needs, to get the next work unit click here. The PC has been doing this ever since I got an internet connection. The only time I got a virus was in a dodgy E-mial. Needless to say, the virus in the email would have arived regardless of the status of my connection.

If you have a good, up to date Av, Anti mal, and a firewall, dont worry. I don't. I backup. That keeps my personal stuff safe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone