Broadband advice needed

oeufbum 20:47 03 Dec 2004

Evening All,
The time has finally arrived to upgrade to Broadband. I have been with BT internet (currently BT Yahoo) on dial-up for yonks, and would like to stay with them for nothing else other than to retain my email address. However, the BT Yahoo 512k package (limited to 15 Gb) is £26.99 p.m. compared to say Tesco at £19.97 totally unlimited access! There are obviously also many others that may be more favourable (i.e. cost-effective) than BT.
Any advice, pro's and con's, one's to definitel avouid, etc, would be extremely helpful!
Thanks in advance,
Alex

igk 20:58 03 Dec 2004

Alex, Its only my opinion but stick with BT broadband,I have been on it since July and honestly cannot fault it even when I found myself having to move house they transferred it no problem (free of charge) I have seen various complaints regarding Tesco's attempt at broadband on these forums so beware.Hope this helps.

Technotiger 21:08 03 Dec 2004

Hi, I agree wholeheartedly with igk - I have been with btbb for two years now - no probs at all.

oeufbum 21:14 03 Dec 2004

igk/technotiger
Brilliant response and information therein. You have certainly made up my mind for me. Will sign up with BT tonight - after all, who's arguing over 2 quid a week! (well I supposeI was).
Thanks again - you're both ****** Stars ******

Technotiger 21:18 03 Dec 2004

Our pleasure - that's what we are here for, right igk.

Also have a look at my Post in Speakers Corner -
BTBB do have a heart.

Technotiger 21:19 03 Dec 2004

ps - don't forget your Big Green Tick !! lol

oeufbum 21:56 03 Dec 2004

Ticked it is!
Thanx for all advice.
Alex

Bapou 22:32 03 Dec 2004

I'm probably too late with this, hope you haven't signed up.

Being with BTYahoo Anytime myself, I received an invite from BT to transfer to a new service called BTYahoo Anytime Plus! a half speed Broadband due out soon. In the meantime I could go onto BTYahoo Broadband now until May 1st 2005 at no extra cost, £15..99 (Direct Debit. Come May I choose to saty with BTYahoo Broadband or go onto Anytime Plus! same price. I signed up and installed yesterday.

Worth your while making enquiries before jumping straight in now.

oeufbum 22:46 03 Dec 2004

Bapou,
Thanks for your advice. No, I haven't yet signed up for anything. Thought I'd have another quick looksee here, and saw your posting. Sounds very interesting! I'll have a look on the BT web site for more info as this seems to be a win/win deal.
Did they contact you by mail/email/letter or did you find the offer on their site? Any further advice appreciated - I'll defer signing upto anything until early next week.
Thanks again.
Alex

Bapou 22:54 03 Dec 2004

You won't see anything on the website. They contacted me with the offer via e-mail last week. I think they may be selecting customers according to usage. Whether that means I've been a good boy and not abused the Anytime 150hrs or using less I don't know.

Won't do no harm to phone them up, 5 months Broadband at £15.99 a month, then be given a choice was a good enough carrot for me.

moises 23:11 03 Dec 2004

Virgin offers a £17.99 package without contract and free set up. The only problem is the lack of information at the begining if you have any problems. They will send you e-mails to their web site and not your default e-mail adress. Also to get tech support for free call 0845 045 777

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?