Broadband

johnexpgn 16:34 03 Oct 2005

Just considering a Broadband connection using a company called Toucan.
Anyone out there tried them ? If so are they OK?
Also can I still use my old e mail address with the Broadband connection as well as the new ones provided? Is there a way of forwarding the mail from my old ISP mail box?

MAJ 17:55 03 Oct 2005

Haven't heard of them until now, johnexpgn. Be careful though the number of companies starting to offer BB and phone packages is increasing, I'll swear our local sweetie shop will be offering BB deals soon. They can't all survive, even Telewest has been swallowed up by NTL, so I would stick with the big names.

Stuartli 18:04 03 Oct 2005

Toucan Broadband is well known, is certainly part of a big name group and further details can be found at:

click here

the comparison website.

Your old e-mail address will still be available if you maintain a presence with the ISP (perhaps using a PAYG service).

Outlook Express or Thunderbird can be configured to collect such e-mails from your default ISP.

Batch 18:12 03 Oct 2005

You'll be able to use your old email address with a broadband service (from another ISP), as long as your existing service provider lets you keep the email address. If all you've got is a pay as you go dial-up service at the moment, the most you will need to do is occassionaly dial-up and login on the old account (freeserve / wanadoo is like this, whereas lineone / tiscali seem to let you carry on using the addresses without needing to dial up occassionally). You'll need to check with your existing service provider what the game plan is.

If you already have broadband, obviously you won't be able to connect under the old provider's service once you switch, but they may still allow you to keep using the email - you'll need to ask.

Assuming you can use the old email address, you check for incoming mail (on the old ISPs POP server) in the same as you do at present, even though it is through another ISP's internet connection. If you still want to send mail using the old address, you will almost certainly need to change the SMTP server details (for that email address) to the one provided by the new ISP (basically, the email goes out from the old email address, but routed vis the new ISP's SMTP server).

You can forward email from the old ISP's mail box if the ISP provides such a facility (e.g. from their webmail interface). Some do / some don't.

The alternative is to use an aggregation service where you enter the login details of the old mail account and the aggregator fetches the mail. Again, some of the ISPs provide this / some don't. But note that you would be providing your login details for the old email account to a third party.

Toucan have been around for some time as they have been sponsoring New York's Finest (Law and Order, Law and Order SVU, CSI etc.) on Channel 5 for quite some time.

Stuartli 18:14 03 Oct 2005

Toucan Broadband is well known, is certainly part of a big name group and further details can be found at:

click here

the comparison website.

Your old e-mail address will still be available if you maintain a presence with the ISP (perhaps using a PAYG service).

Outlook Express or Thunderbird can be configured to collect such e-mails from your default ISP.

Stuartli 18:17 03 Oct 2005

Sorry that got posted twice - website problems.

Re Toucan's TV sponsorship - you can listen and/or buy the music from its advertisement at:

click here

johnexpgn 20:20 03 Oct 2005

Thanks to everybody for your quick response!
I think I will try the Toucan package.
I should be able to sort out my old e mail address, having had your advice, with the old ISP as they will keep it open for free.

Johnexpgn

ARTY DAN 11:09 07 Nov 2005

I am thinking of having a BT phone line installed, had a look at toucan they are offering 2mb unlimited broadband and unlimited national and local calls for £25.98, with B.T. together option 1 line it works out at £36.48. This is the best deal I have found.
Is anyone using toucan broadband and phone at the moment? have you had any problems also what is customer service like? thanks.

ARTY DAN

Stuartli 11:26 07 Nov 2005

You can get 2MB BB and unlimited phone calls packages for less.

One supplier is Tiscali but, after my experiences this week, I would NEVER recommended the company again.

See the various current threads re BB speeds, Tiscali etc.

Stuartli 12:43 07 Nov 2005

Also look at click here - I use its StandardTalk service (free) for no charge weekend calls and low cost calls at other times.

It also offers combined BB and phone packages.

ARTY DAN 13:13 07 Nov 2005

I do apologise, I put my post for discussion in your post response by mistake, don't know if answers to my post for discussion will help you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?