Broad band speed

Boy Zone 22:39 15 Mar 2005

Good evening to you all.

I am very confused about what BB speed I should be receiving from my recent upgrade from BT BB.
When I down load a file it shows me that my speed is (x) kB/sec, and this can be anything between 10 to 135 Kb/sec.
When I download the Mcaffe tool it showed that I was receiving data at 1.137Mbbps or 145Kb /sec.
What I want to know is which is correct, ie the range from 10 to 135Kb/sec, and why the variance?

A very confused person..

Daveboy 23:00 15 Mar 2005

Go to click here and do a speed test. Downloads will vary due to many things-they are fluid not set in stone.

Starfox 23:03 15 Mar 2005

You should be able to receive up to 2mb per second.My service was upgraded on Sunday click here will give you some answers.

hugh-265156 23:17 15 Mar 2005

its confusing yes. The conversion below i am led to believe is correct apologies if i am wrong.

1024MB = 1GB

1024KB = 1MB

1024Kb = 1Mb

so if you have a 1Mb connection and run a speed test in the uk you should be seeing a Kb/sec speed close to 1024kb or there abouts. try a uk based speed test click here i find this accurate.

when downloading from a website the speed is shown in KB/sec so a quick way of converting Kb into KB is to divide your reported speed in the site above by 8 and this should give you a rough idea of the max download speed you should be getting when downloading.

as above it will depend on how busy the site you are downloading from is and its location in the world also, you can only download as fast as any of the sites you are downloading from can give the file to you. hope that helps.

Jak_1 00:49 16 Mar 2005

Feel I should point out to save any confusion that internet works on kilobits and megabits as opposed to kilobytes and megabytes.

Also you have to remember the contention rate, time of day and speed of the server of the web page you are visiting. All these factors have a bearing on download speed no matter what service you are on.

Download speed can never be an exact science because of the above factors so if you are happy in the main with the download speed that you are getting for the money you are paying out then I would think no more of it. Things always slowdown in the evenings here as everyone goes online and the States are online also.

Hope this explains things a bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?