Broad Band physical connection query

MAJ 11:20 29 Sep 2003

This may sound like a silly question, but as our exchange has just been ADSL enabled, I've never had many dealings with BB. My BB package, (modem etc.), is being dispatched by Tiscali, my line has been enabled. What I would like to know is: At the moment I'm connecting via dialup and as I'm about 15 feet away from the telephone socket, I use an ordinary telephone extension cable to enable me to connect to the dialup modem in my computer. The RJ11 cable that connects the BBmodem to the computer, I suspect, will be too short to reach the telephone socket. Can I connect the RJ11 data cable to the telephone socket via the ordinary extension cable I'm using at the moment?

johnbhoy 11:28 29 Sep 2003

MAJ - I have the same problem, I used an extension from my PC to my wall mounted phone socket. When I got my broadband, I sued the same extension and just connected an ADSL filter to than then cable from ADLS modem to the filter on end of extension. I have no problem sconnecting like this.

Cheers

JohnBhoy

-pops- 11:34 29 Sep 2003

I think the filter needs to be fairly close to the modem/computer but the other cabling can be as long as you want.

Think how far the exchange is from your machine!

MAJ 11:46 29 Sep 2003

Commonsense told me it should work okay, but there was that little nagging thing in my head that was telling me, "well you never know". I just didn't want to have to run out and buy a longer RJ11 cable, after my modem arrived and I found out I couldn't use my present extension lead. I'll be like a child with a new toy.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest fellas. :-))

PS. I said in my original post:

"The RJ11 cable that connects the BBmodem to the computer"

of course that's incorrect, that connection is via USB cable. Just getting excited as my BB times draws nearer.

abc77 12:26 29 Sep 2003

I have a 20 meters cable plugged in my wall mounted socket, my ADSL filter is attached with the connector of this cable. There is no need for you to buy the RJ11 cable. However if you are using the ADSL USB modem. Then RJ11 cable may not be suitable since it has more than two pins and the one cable connected with the modem and the filter only have two pins. Although some people advise that to use BB more effectively, the phone cable should not be longer than 13 meters. However, I conducted a speed test lately, the download speed was around 450k.

MAJ 12:38 29 Sep 2003

duly noted. This is all new ground for me so any and all info is welcomed and appreciated. My extension is only about 15 feet so hopefully I shouldn't have toooooo many problems. ;-)

The Sack 13:29 29 Sep 2003

dunno if this helps, this is how i have mine.

Modem to cable into filter which is plugged in to a lightning arrester out of that it is connected to a normal 15m phone extension with 5m coiled up to form a simple resistor for good measure, it then connects in to another extension which connects it to the main box, the result?

Downstream 434 Kbps (54.3 KB/sec) 468 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream 233 Kbps (29.1 KB/sec) 251 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Not the fastest connection on the planet but still better than a kick in the nads.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?