Broad Band 'Modem' failure?

jack 14:00 24 Jan 2008

Any experience of such a thing any one?

A colleague asked me to check out his system as it kept reporting 'No connection'
I did the checks and tests an all connections and software wise looked as it should be.
The BB'box' showed power and conn connection lights but no data transfer.
I ran the install software again[Talk Talk]and its diagnostic came up 'Modem Fail'
The modem is the standard TalkTalk supplied item

AlexPB 14:08 24 Jan 2008

By data do you mean the ADSL light? If it is this light that is showing nothing then it could be the line is faulty or problematic.

Try plugging the router into another phone socket and trying it.

jack 14:30 24 Jan 2008

Thank you Alex
The line works clear speech wise
Does it imply it should work BB or can BB still be problematic?
Moreover how about the filters - can they fail[from what I recall- I shall have to go back to him re this] but they were not supplied - or perhaps only one was he had to make a purchase CarPhoneWareHouse.

xania 15:36 24 Jan 2008

Is the modem plugged into a master socket - if not this could be a cause of the problem. Could also be a damaged filter. Do you have another one you can try. Also try dicsonnecting everything else on the line (phones, Sky Box, fax machines etc), then if all now well, replace one at a time until you find the faulty item.

jack 19:40 24 Jan 2008

Just spoken to him on the telephone, having left him to move socket around and check connections yesterday.
I suspect that it all that was needed, because he said he has now reconnected - Good
But the ISP wont recognise the Password - puzzlement?

xania 09:03 25 Jan 2008

Get on the phone to the ISP - they should be able to sort out the password problem.

setecio 09:25 25 Jan 2008

For talk talk ring 08700875562 from the broadband line and a message will reply with the password for that number

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone