Broad band loss

jason.p 18:48 15 Oct 2008

I'm posting this on behalf of my son who has had a loss of broadband with his wireless router. Despite calls to the provider (orange) and to the router manufacturer (netgear), the problem has not been resolved. He has bought and installed a new router, but still no broadband. Everything had been working perfectly previously.
Is there any way of telling whether the signal is being received at all?
I know I haven't provided much detail, but what are the most likely causes of this problem?
Thanks in advance

Graham. 19:40 15 Oct 2008

There should be a power light, a wireless light, a 'broadband' light and an ethernet light. They should all be green.

jason.p 21:05 15 Oct 2008

Thanks Graham, I'll pass this on and let you know.

T I M B O 21:40 15 Oct 2008

Try this >> click here

I think with orange you get up to 8MB download speed & i stress up to 8MB. I had no idea that Orange were now using netgear, but behind that router is a little hole, push a pin in there to reset that router, i sometimes turn everything off for about 5 mins.

You said "Everything had been working perfectly previously" previously to what??

jason.p 22:16 15 Oct 2008

Hi Timbo. Everything had been working prior to the failure of the connection, no hint of any problems, such as intermittent disconnection etc.
Thanks for suggestion, as before,I'll pass it on and let you know. (might have to be tommorrow!!)

T I M B O 22:22 15 Oct 2008

Orange, formally Freeserve then wanadoo, used to use speedtouch gear that worked quite well, but Orange brought out that router that was fairly tall and a slight triangular in shape. I have a friend that has one of these and have been know to be quite reliable kit. Pester Orange to sort out ur connection, thats what you pay them for...

Best of luck.............

jason.p 18:40 16 Oct 2008

Thanks Timbo. It seems that there is no broadband being received, as the broadband light on the unit is not on. Orange say they are doing a line test which could take up to 48 hours! The phone line seems to be ok. I must admit I don't really understand how it works, but what could be the reasons for for the broadband "signal?" not being received?

T I M B O 18:46 16 Oct 2008

What will happen now is that Orange will contact Bt to do a line test, i'm not sure how long this takes. Patience is all it takes, hang in there buddie ;-))

Rahere 18:58 16 Oct 2008

Have you checked and double checked all the phone connections, adsl filters since this went down? It's worth trying unplugging every telephone bar one and see if the router gets a signal now. use the master socket only in case there's an issue with any internal wiring.

Hopefully orange/BT haven't inadvertently disconnected your broadband for some reason who do you pay your line rental too it it worth complaining to them about this?

maybe try going to a competitor's (BT?) site and typing your son's number in as if you were setting up a request for a BB connection sometimes it will tell you if it's an active adsl line

jason.p 09:10 18 Oct 2008

Broadband has returned! After several calls to Orange, and line checks it came back on yesterday evening. I can only presume it had been diconnected for some reason. Thanks to all for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?