Broad Band and filters

Migwell 16:51 26 Mar 2007

If one was to fit a line fron the master socket right up to the BB router, and use a RJ45 socket so only the router could be plugged into that, would you need a filter?

As the way I read it the filter is realy for the phone side of things, i.e telephones, sky boxes and other modems. Is this right?

pj123 16:55 26 Mar 2007

I don't need any filters at all as I am on cable but from what I have heard/learnt you need a filter for every telephone socket you have, regardless of whether there is a telephone plugged in or not.

Cockney Rebel 17:06 26 Mar 2007

Hi Migwell.
A filter is required for every phone socket in the house that has any phone equipment plugged into it.ie sky,ans machines etc.Also if you are running any plug in xtn leads the filter must be pugged in at the end of the lead.Hope this helps.

howard64 17:46 26 Mar 2007

you need a filter to get the connection to the broadband and as Cockney Rebel says you need a filter in each socket that has any phone equipment connected to it including the sky box etc.

Migwell 18:04 26 Mar 2007

I know that you need a filter for any other equipment, but I am sure that I have read you do not need one if the line is B.B. only.

Just to clarify the question, has any one else heard this?

fitshase 21:22 26 Mar 2007

You are right - if you don't have any other equipment plugged in you don't need a filter installed.

I have used this technique to diagnose faults.

Migwell 01:14 27 Mar 2007

Thanks fitshase

Memory is a wonderful thing (some times) I will close now and give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone