Broad Band- Do I really need a disk!!

spuds 11:59 12 Mar 2006

More of a matter of curiosity really, and I know that some of you learned people, will have the precise answer.

Just completed mass surgery and re-format on my computer, due to increasing problems.Made an attempt to reconnect my Thomson SpeedTouch 330 to Tiscali BB (used the SpeedTouch installation disk for the modem), and found that I was having problems making a connection going through other Windows procedures.Contacted Tiscali Technical support 0870 (terrible line and constant break-ins via a Chinese speaking person?)and after explaining the situation,I was placed on hold a number of times, with the increasing same question asking session on returns.

Eventually I was informed that I would need the original Tiscali installation disk, and due to the fact that I didn't have this, they would sent me a new one, which would take 3 to 5 days to receive. Is this the normal procedure, because I had another 'play-around', and made the connection, hence here today.

Was Tiscali support being supportive or obstructive!. Want to get my facts right, should I need to correspond with them.

Stuartli 12:07 12 Mar 2006

Tiscali has a run down of the connection configuration etc at:

click here

Totally-braindead 12:58 12 Mar 2006

I'm with Tiscali, the last time I set up my Sagem BB modem I used the latest drivers that I had downloaded from the website and it worked fine. click here

spuds 13:13 12 Mar 2006

Stuartli- I used the wizard and other methods, then tried Tiscali for more support.

Totally-braindead. Used the original SpeedTouch installation disk. Will wait to see what Tiscali provides, then use your link for perhaps latest updates. Would mention that I also have the Sagem [email protected] 800 E2T, provided by Tiscali as a possible substitute modem, if required.

Just thought that it was curious that Tiscali support, seemed to offer the only solution of a copy of the 'original' installation disk. See what they send me ?.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:25 12 Mar 2006

All you need is the modem drivers and the connection details once the line is activated.

spuds 13:47 12 Mar 2006

Fruit Bat-- That's what I used, but still had problems getting a connection at first. Still trying to understand why Tiscali support, insisted that I would need the Tiscali installation disk!!.

Will need to wait, and see what they send?.

spuds 17:29 12 Mar 2006

Will tick as resolved, and see what Tiscali sends.

Found it slightly annoying, when I kept being placed on hold. Wasn't sure if the agent was seeking advice from elsewhere, or whether he was ordering whatever he was going to send, via another link-up.And the Chinese voice, that kept interrupting with an announcement, made me wondered if I was being Googled :o).

Jackcoms 18:42 12 Mar 2006

"was informed that I would need the original Tiscali installation disk, and due to the fact that I didn't have this"

Quite right too. This time around keep your Tiscali CD safe. It will avoid any further hassle if you have to re-install again in the future.

spuds 19:02 12 Mar 2006

Jackcoms-- I recall my original installation disk was a cover disk freebie for PAYG many moons ago :o(

Jackcoms 19:13 12 Mar 2006

As a long-time member of this Forum it never fails to amaze me how often people post with:

"I need to re-install ........ - but I've lost my Windows CD or my Office CD or my ISP CD or my whatever CD."

Why can't people tuck these item away in a safe place where they can easily lay their hands on them??

After all, they've often paid good money for their CDs and should take better care of them.

I know EXACTLY where all the important program and installation CDs are which I might need again in the future. Why can't others do likewise?

That's it - my whinge for the day! ;-))

spuds 11:04 14 Mar 2006

Received today,flimsy soggy (postman's getting wet, its raining) brown envelope and cd disk titled 'Broadband Installation CD'.

Cannot recall seeing anything like that cd, when I set-up my BroadBand connection in the past.Due to the fact that I managed to get myself on-line, whilst waiting for Tiscali's solution. I MUST keep this cd in a safe-keeping hiding place, for perhaps future use :o)

Thanks again everyone for your kindly responses. Ticked as resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?