Broad Band

User-324448 12:25 21 Sep 2005

We would like to use a lap top on the internet in a shed at the bottom of the garden. Not to sure how to go about it. we have a computer in the house 30 feet away and a phone line in the shed, not really happy with a radio signal as we are very built up.In simple terms how could we do it and use both computers on the internet at the same time.??

Whilst Im writing this what is the difference between a "Notebook" and a "Laptop"

bobbybowls 12:37 21 Sep 2005

run a network cable from the router to the shed.a friend has a office in his garage and has run a cable inside a plastic pipe alongside the path.
notebook & laptop are size comparisons.

User-324448 13:02 21 Sep 2005

Ok then, both computers run XP what type of cable would do the job, Phone cable ?? and would the terminations be moulded plugs or can we simply strip the ends and screw em in as one wouls say a light switch. would we need to install network card and does a router take the place of a Broadband modem.
Im sure these are all rather simple questions but I am really out of touch with the goings on of broadband and my brain is rather worn as well

Mikè 13:15 21 Sep 2005

click here are what you need there are two types.

Before deciding which you need, think about whether you mind having to have your main PC on when using laptop?

bobbybowls 14:24 21 Sep 2005

go to click here
click on learning centre then network basics it will talk you through seting up a network

User-324448 16:44 21 Sep 2005

Thanks everyone I am begining to get the picture, must read up about it now. Prof

woodchip 16:48 21 Sep 2005

All you need is a Wireless router Modem near the main computer and put a wireless BB card in the Laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?