Britishredcross email

Graham. 21:49 24 Apr 2007

A friend has an email from 'britishredcross' that is marked 'contains a virus'. She can't delete it. The alert is not from AVG, I assume at this stage it is being flagged by her ISP, PlusNet.

Anything known, please?

Technotiger 21:56 24 Apr 2007

Hi, is it a genuine email from Br RedCross? Was your friend expecting an email from Br RedCross?

Google shows quite a few Purporting to be such:

click here+'contains+a+virus'%3F

If it cannot be deleted, try a System Restore back to before it was received. If that does not work, try the same again in Safe mode.

Technotiger 21:59 24 Apr 2007

Strange that first link remove the reference to 'virus' ...

click here+'contains+a+virus%40%3F

Graham. 22:01 24 Apr 2007

Not expecting an email. I've just looked at her webmail on the ISP server - the inbox is empty. Strange.

Graham. 22:02 24 Apr 2007

You may have to Tiny that link.

Technotiger 22:02 24 Apr 2007

Stranger still, that one also is not showing what I expected.

Google for

email from British Red Cross marked 'contains a virus'

... will be interesting to see if you get what I did on the Google.

Graham. 22:11 24 Apr 2007

I didn't find anything relevant, just a phishing alert. Could that be what my friend is seeing?

Technotiger 22:23 24 Apr 2007

Wierd, the links I posted above do not show the phishing alert, yet the Page I got the link from does, just as you have seen. The page I saw also had several mentions of the 'attached virus' ...

Technotiger 22:24 24 Apr 2007

Anyway, has your friend tried the System Restore, either direct or in Safe mode?

Graham. 08:15 25 Apr 2007

No, not yet. I want to take a look myself first.

Graham. 21:08 03 May 2007

System Restore did not help. She has forwarded the emails to me. She said the attachments contained foul language, but all I received were small .txt files which read 'you've got them already'.

Does this mean the attachments can only be opened once? This in itself seems suspicious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017