British laptop in Spain

markdavid 18:06 10 Nov 2007

I am British but live in Spain. I'm going to buy a British spec. Acer laptop based on reviews on this site. This might be a silly question, but...
Will I have any problems using it connected to the mains because of the possible slight voltage difference between Spain and the U.K.?

(The voltage here is 230V AC 50 Herz cycles.)

Totally-braindead 18:40 10 Nov 2007

No. All laptops that I have seen will work with anything from 110v to 240v, a slight difference in frequency and a slight difference in voltage will make no difference.

anchor 15:04 11 Nov 2007

I have used my UK laptops, (with their mains adaptors), on visits to Spain over some years.

First a Toshiba, and more recently my Sony Vaio. No problems whatsoever.

Karakorum 16:22 11 Nov 2007

Anchor - Did you have to make any adjustment to your modem settings in Spain? I ask because I have an old Packard-Bell desktop I bought in Holland and found I had to cross-over the 2 outer wires to the 2 inner wires on the modem cable to make it work in this country. - mind you I bought it circa 1997.

anchor 08:59 12 Nov 2007

Karakorum: In recent years I only have used my laptop connected via WiFi. Previously never connected using a modem cable.

Perhaps a member who lives in Spain could comment.

Karakorum 01:57 13 Nov 2007

OK, thanks. Not important - just curious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?