Bridge Adware help with removal please..thanks

bof:) 15:36 07 Mar 2004

Hi all,

I've been running the trial version of 'Pest Patrol' and its found adware called Bridge but this has not been detected by Adaware6 or Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster.

Could some suggest a program to get rid of it.

I wondered why this had not been picked up by any of the 3 programs I use? I am aware that different programes pick up on different spywares, thats why I do as suggested on this site and run more than 1 of them.

Using Google I've come across this site that gives instructions for removal, has anyone any experience of using it.

click here

Thankyou,

Mike

Diodorus Siculus 15:42 07 Mar 2004

Give Bazooka a go; otherwise the suggestions for manual removal seem straightforward if you are used to the registry.

bof:) 16:01 07 Mar 2004

Hi Diodorus Siculus,

Many thanks for your fast response. I'll backup my registery and give Bazooka a try as you suggest.

I'll sit and check registery after bazooka has done the job.

Mike

obbit 16:15 07 Mar 2004

i had this problem. it appears that pest patrol does this. you will find as i did that it is a part of shockwave and nothing to worry about.

i had it and on the next update of PP it disappeared.

is it a dll that it is finding?

i think you can ignore it.

bof:) 16:53 07 Mar 2004

Thanks obbit,

I've installed bazooka and on its first scan it found 'MS Media Player GUID (Global Universal Identifier).

I checked out my Media player and where Bazooka said untick, the box was ulready unticked.

Bazooka then said download all Windows critical updates. Windows says I have these. So I followed the instructions to dlete by hand from the registery after backing up first.

The line Bazooka gave was as follows:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Settings\ Client ID

Having deleted this I rescanned with Bazooka but it did not find the 'Bridge adware' that I was originally looking for, that was reported by Pest Control's trial version.

So it seems I am no futher forward in getting rid of this adware.

If anyone else has any thoughts on this I would be most grateful,

Mike

bof:) 16:55 07 Mar 2004

ps when following Bazzoka's instructions to remove Bridge adware by hand, none of the items mentioned were found so, where is Pest Control finding this from?

JIM 18:10 07 Mar 2004

in your system restore backup? (Thats if your using Winxp)

JIM 18:10 07 Mar 2004

in your system restore backup? (Thats if your using Winxp)

bof:) 18:10 07 Mar 2004

Hi All,

having looked at this posting on PCA

click here

I decided to give it a try and this is what it found:

Alexa tool bar
Backweb
Lopdotcom

The System monitor discovered WinWhatWhere

3 cookies were found

Atwola
Com.com
passport cookie

The adware found was Winpup but, Bridge the original spyware I set out to get rid of was not found so who is telling the truth??

Mike

bof:) 18:11 07 Mar 2004

bump

JIM 18:54 07 Mar 2004

Winpup.

click here

sos about double/posting,looking at the "time" it appears you are to blame :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?