Braodband compatibility with Vista Home Premium

Chrispbug 12:19 28 Feb 2007

I've just bought a new Acer 5610z laptop with preloaded Vista Home Premium to replace my ageing pc.
So far all's been well except for 1 serious issue - I can't get on the internet with my existing Wanadoo set up.
With both computers switched off, I removed the usb lead for the modem from my old pc . Using the Wanadoo cd I then install the modem software. After that was installed, I plugged the modem into the new laptop. The laptop could not get a connection as it said that the 'modem was disconnected' when it wasn't.
Is Wanadoo compatible with the New Vista or what other isp IS compatable ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:23 28 Feb 2007

What type of modem?
Speedtouch 330?
Do you have the vista drivers for your modem I doubt if they are on the old CD.

How do you Know the modem is connected?

Look in device manager is there a yellow exclamation against the modem? click properties and see if there is an error message or code.

crosstrainer 12:32 28 Feb 2007

Have you installed the supplied filters to your phone line? If so try uninstalling the wanadoo software, then open up device manager and uninstall the modem (if it's still listed) then shut down, re-boot (with the modem disconnected from both laptop AND socket on the adsl filter..then re-install the software, if it provides you with further instructions follow those or: then connect the phone line to the filter first, then the usb cable to the filter, then the usb cable to the laptop...hope this works seems people are having problems with wanadoo not doing what you wan-it-to!

Chrispbug 13:14 28 Feb 2007

Filters are fitted to the phone line as in the previous set up to the old pc. I've un installed the wanadoo software from the laptop, disconnected the modem from the filter and laptop. Re install the software and reconnected the phone line and usb cable to. I'm now attempting to connect the existing usb cable to the laptop and see what happens.
I'll let you know soon

Chrispbug 13:17 28 Feb 2007

Filters are fitted to the phone line as in the previous set up to the old pc. I've un installed the wanadoo software from the laptop, disconnected the modem from the filter and laptop. Re install the software and reconnected the phone line and usb cable to. I'm now attempting to connect the existing usb cable to the laptop and see what happens. Without the modem connected to the laptop I get the message 'Could not create entry ("" +Speedtouch Connection +)on the lap top screen when I press the Speedtouch icon on the screen. I'm going to try conecting the modem usb to the lap top now to see what happens
Will be back soon to let you know

Chrispbug 13:27 28 Feb 2007

Plugged in the modem usb lead to the laptop and have this message - 'Windows needs to install driver software for your Speedtouch 330' The lap top has searched the wanadoo disc for this software and has 'successfully installed the software for this device'
Several seconds later the message comes up that this driver software has NOT been installed successfully. The connect screen for the modem comes up, I've entered my logon name and password and ... nothing happens at all
Help !!!!

anskyber 13:27 28 Feb 2007

This could be your problem if you have a Speedtouch, not all are Vista compliant or have updated drivers. click here

Chrispbug 13:31 28 Feb 2007

Thanks very much for the info and help everybody. You'd have thought that Microsoft would have looked into the issue before of broadband compatibilty before selling a product which I can't use properly

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:37 28 Feb 2007

Have a chat with Orange, they will give you advice or replace the modem for you.

The Livebox sould be compatible as it does not require drivers only the network card or wireless card needs drivers, wireless and talk is exactly the same price it will cost you nothing to upgrade.

Chrispbug 14:19 28 Feb 2007

I've spoken to Orange and they were about as much help as a chocolate teapot.
I'm still stuggling to sort out this problem so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

provider 2 14:54 28 Feb 2007

This might be of some help:click here=

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?