Both cd/rw&dvd drives not compatable

rover6 19:33 02 Mar 2007

Both the CD and DVD drives on PC have the same problem, when I insert a disk to install new software get the following message. (Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatable with windows.)Both drives have got same problem at same time,both fairly new,get the message even with windows XP disk,disks work on other computers ok.Device manager and my computer both show drives in place and working.
Any suggestion as to what problem is?

Totally-braindead 19:37 02 Mar 2007

Try deleting the two drives from device manager which you will find under control panel and system and hardware. Then restart. Windows will automatically reload the drives and then try them again.

woodchip 19:41 02 Mar 2007

Looks like the drives are having problems reading the Disc format. If you have a old drive connect it temporary to test

rover6 20:01 02 Mar 2007

Have tried deleting the drives from device manager does not solve problem but thanks for the sugggestion.

moorie- 20:08 02 Mar 2007

try this to reset dma

moorie- 20:10 02 Mar 2007

sorry link
click here

skidzy 22:03 02 Mar 2007

Few things that may help you click here
if you decide to follow the registry edit,please follow the advice to the letter.

Stuartli 22:35 02 Mar 2007

Also check that one drive is the Master (the DVD most likely in your case) and the other as the Slave - configured using the small jumpers on the rear of the drives.

rover6 14:41 04 Mar 2007

Thanks to all, have learned something new from having this problem, which with your help I have now managed to repair.

skidzy 16:25 04 Mar 2007

thankyou for posting back that your have repaired your problem,however could you please post back the solution as this may help others in the future and especially at the moment as we are receiving several dvd/cd problems.

Any information that helped you repair this would be appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone