Both CD Writer and DVD drives wont see any discs

Elkopop 10:57 08 Apr 2006

After playing a music cd one of the drives stopped recognising and game disc, a day later and neither drive will recognise any disc. Any ideas please

terryf 14:54 08 Apr 2006

First try going to My Computer, right click>properties>hardware>device manager and look for question marks against the devices. If none go to DVD/Cd drives and right click on devices and uninstall both drives, re-start and let Windows find and re-install the devices.

Elkopop 20:07 08 Apr 2006

Thanks Terrf, that got the e drive which is the DVD going but not the CD drive d which still just requests "put disc in drive". Still one is better than none, I remember having this problem with this machine about 1 year ago which turned out to be a virus infection which over a few days closed down the computer and I had to wipe everything and reinstall XP. I have swiped this clean with trojan, AVG and adware searchs so thinkk it cant be that and as well the e drive now works so, curious??

terryf 20:34 08 Apr 2006

look at these free programs
click here AVG Free, do an immediate test, update from time
to time
click here SpyBot Search and Destroy, download, update and
immunise, update from time to time
click here
Bazooka, run from time to time, update from time to time
click here Ad-Aware, update from time to time
click here free scan with Spyware Doctor
click here a-squared free, update from time to
time
Apologies if you already have these

Elkopop 20:40 08 Apr 2006

Have done all except Bazooka which I,ll try thanks for the links.

terryf 08:21 09 Apr 2006

Had an overnight thought, switch off, take off the case and check ribbon connections to the 2 drives, make sure they are pushed home on drives and Mobo. Touch metal case before to get rid of any static.

Elkopop 19:13 25 Apr 2006

Still struggling with this one. Son has taken back to University yesterday and neither drive will recognise Film DVD or Audio and the DVD drive only will recognise a game cd (Football Manager) after trying for 15 or so times, it spins very slow as it seems to be loading and still sometimes just gives up before game appears on screen!. Have reinstalled both drives as advised in earlier post above and checked the ribbon connections. I think I read somewhere on here that if you burn audio cd's and use them in the drives it sometimes affects the drives ability to recognise anything (or am I just getting desperate for an answer to this one). Could it be a formatting problem. Computer appears clean to the virus checker and trogan programs mentioned above in earlier replies???help please!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017