BOOTUP/HIBERNATE PROBLEMS ON NEW PC!

Ribblehead 13:03 05 Apr 2007

Can anybody help me with my problem on a brand-new PC which has never worked properly since the day I took delivery of it? My system is a Cube Columbia ST5 with an AMD Athlon 64 x 2 dual core 4400+ 2.2 GHz processor, 2GB RAM, 2 x 250 GB HDD’s & the operating system is Windows XP Professional SP2. The motherboard is an ATI series, the graphics card an ATI Sapphire x 1800 XL 256MB PCI Express and the sound card a Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Music. The PC did not come with Windows pre-loaded, as I already had an unused sealed copy at home. After loading the operating system & relevant drivers for the on-board hardware, I found that the PC would take over 10 minutes to boot up & be available for use. In addition, the computer would not resume Hibernate mode, it would just hang up and do nothing once the ‘Resuming Windows’ progress bar became a solid line across the bottom of the display. If I removed SP2, Hibernate would work normally, but with a lengthy time delay before the desktop appeared. Of the few programs that I bothered to load, all would run slow & the system would crash frequently with the blue screen of death! After corresponding with Cube, eventually they concluded that the machine would have to be sent to them for repair under warranty. The PC was returned to me a month later & I subsequently learned from Cube that they had found a fault with one of the hard disk drives. Whilst the system start up was indeed much faster, there was still a delay of over 90 seconds between the boot up information screen showing and the appearance of the splash screen. During this period, there is no activity indicated on the HDD LED. The splash screen remains for a period of approximately 30 seconds, then there is a further delay of about one minute until the ‘User Accounts’ log-on screen appears. Also, there remained a problem of intermittent, random flashes of colour bands across the VDU, throughout the latter period (which had been notified to Cube when the PC was originally returned to them) & and to which their technical department could only suggest that it would be resolved when ATI released updated drivers for the graphics card. Quite naturally, I did not regard this as a particularly satisfactory response for a computer that supposedly incorporated “top of the range hardware” & one that cost me almost £2,000! The PC still continued to crash fairly often & and the response to the associated error messages received from Microsoft indicated either hardware faults or driver problems as the principal causes. On a more positive note, the computer will resume from Hibernate mode but, again, there is a delay in excess of 90 seconds from the progress bar becoming solid and the desktop appearing, this compares very poorly to my five-year-old machine, which takes around 10 seconds or less. Sadly, Cube’s technical help has let me down very badly since I notified them that there were still faults with the PC. On two occasions, they took over a month to respond to in my e-mails & it culminated in me having to telephone them as the computer was nearly out of warranty. I spoke to their technical manager, he could only offer the suggestion that I tried reformatting the HDD’s & and reloading Windows XP. When I asked about having an extension to the warranty, given that they'd had the machine for a month under repair, the cost of it & the fact that it had never worked properly since the day of I took delivery, he flatly refused- potential buyers of PCs from this company beware! I have tried reloading Windows as he suggested & found that all the problems remain. In addition, the system hangs up completely when attempting to resume from Hibernate mode & the only way that I can get the machine to boot up is to switch it off & and then restart it from scratch. When doing so, I get the message showing to the effect that the previous restart had failed & to delete the restoration data & resume the boot up. Having looked at some of the postings in the Helproom Forum, I have disabled the splash & User Account screens from appearing, but this has made no real difference to the excessive start up delay. I would welcome any assistance with this problem; Microsoft’s own technical bulletins do not contain any references to my specific case.

robbiepaul79 13:24 05 Apr 2007

Sorry to be picky but could you try and put some formatting on that paragraph i really struggle with reading big blocks of text

Ribblehead 13:30 05 Apr 2007

I'm really sorry about the lack of formatting, I've had to leave it like that as I originally exceeded the helproom's character limit whilst trying to explain the problem accurately! Many thanks for looking at it though - I hope you may be able to help

Ribblehead 13:41 05 Apr 2007

Can anybody help me with my problem on a brand-new PC which has never worked properly since the day I took delivery of it?

My system is a Cube Columbia ST5 with an AMD Athlon 64 x 2 dual core 4400+ 2.2 GHz processor, 2GB RAM, 2 x 250 GB HDD’s & the OS is Windows XP Professional SP2. The motherboard is an ATI series, the graphics card an ATI Sapphire x 1800 XL 256MB PCI Express and the sound card a Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Music.

The PC did not come with Windows pre-loaded, as I already had an unused, sealed copy at home. After loading the operating system & relevant drivers for the on-board hardware, I found that the PC would take over 10 minutes to boot up & be available for use. In addition, the computer would not resume Hibernate mode, it would just hang up and do nothing once the ‘Resuming Windows’ progress bar became a solid line across the bottom of the display. If I removed SP2, Hibernate would work normally, but with a lengthy time delay before the desktop appeared. Of the few programs that I bothered to load, all would run slow & the system would crash frequently with the blue screen of death!

After corresponding with Cube, eventually they concluded that the machine would have to be sent to them for repair under warranty. The PC was returned to me a month later & I subsequently learned from Cube that they had found a fault with one of the hard disk drives. Whilst the system start up was indeed much faster, there was still a delay of over 90 seconds between the boot up information screen showing and the appearance of the splash screen. During this period, there is no activity indicated on the HDD LED. The splash screen remains for a period of approximately 30 seconds, then there is a further delay of about one minute until the ‘User Accounts’ log-on screen appears. Also, there remained a problem of intermittent, random flashes of colour bands across the VDU, throughout the latter period (which had been notified to Cube when the PC was originally returned to them) & and to which their technical department could only suggest that it would be resolved when ATI released updated drivers for the graphics card.

Quite naturally, I did not regard this as a particularly satisfactory response for a computer that supposedly incorporated “top of the range hardware” & one that cost me almost £2,000! The PC still continued to crash fairly often & and the response to the associated error messages received from Microsoft indicated either hardware faults or driver problems as the principal causes. On a more positive note, the computer will resume from Hibernate mode but, again, there is a delay in excess of 90 seconds from the progress bar becoming solid and the desktop appearing, this compares very poorly to my five-year-old machine, which takes around 10 seconds or less.

Sadly, Cube’s technical help has let me down very badly since I notified them that there were still faults with the PC. On two occasions, they took over a month to respond to in my e-mails & it culminated in me having to telephone them as the computer was nearly out of warranty. I spoke to their technical manager, he could only offer the suggestion that I tried reformatting the HDD’s & and reloading Windows XP. When I asked about having an extension to the warranty, given that they'd had the machine for a month under repair, the cost of it & the fact that it had never worked properly since the day of I took delivery, he flatly refused- potential buyers of PCs from this company beware! I have tried reloading Windows as he suggested & found that all the problems remain. In addition, the system hangs up completely when attempting to resume from Hibernate mode & the only way that I can get the machine to boot up is to switch it off & and then restart it from scratch. When doing so, I get the message showing to the effect that the previous restart had failed & to delete the restoration data & resume the boot up. Having looked at some of the postings in the Helproom Forum, I have disabled the splash & User Account screens from appearing, but this has made no real difference to the excessive start up delay. I would welcome any assistance with this problem; Microsoft’s own technical bulletins do not contain any references to my specific case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?