Bootup only in safe mode

Dalglish2 18:07 09 Nov 2006

Hi
I'm running XP Home SP2 on my laptop and now have a problem in that when booting up, the PC runs slowly almost freezing. The cooling fan comes on and any applications load if at all, very slowly. In safe mode, things run as they should.
I use the laptop almost exclusively for internet and have AVG/ ADSL firewall running.
I have restored to earlier check points but to no effect. I have uninstalled largeish applications no longer needed but this has not had any effect.
Diagnosis? Many thanks
Steve

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 09 Nov 2006

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here
Ewido click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

e) Obtain the newest drivers for your hardware
This may seem a bit obvious, but keeping your system's drivers up to date can give both your performance and stability a boost. Video card manufacturers release updates especially often, and these can often give "significant boosts" to gaming performance as video card in question is "optimized."

Don't neglect the other components of your system either. Your motherboard manufacturer may have released newer versions of its Input/output drivers for your board, and sound cards and other peripherals can also benefit from newer software.

Dalglish2 22:03 09 Nov 2006

Hi fruit bat

thanks v much Reg scrub has done the trick!
atb
Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?