boot/startup disk for XP home

Rhuddlan 19:00 04 May 2003

I changed my hard disk drive c which is the primary master to not installed in the BIOS and when my computer rebooted, a message appeared saying that there was a boot failure from the previous device and to insert the boot/startup disk into drive a, so how do I create a boot/startup disk to load windows if there is a boot failure, thanks, regards, Rhuddlan.

Rayuk 19:07 04 May 2003

Do you mean you changed bios setting by mistake and now cannot start windows?
If so look in manual for motherboard jumper to clear bios cmos you will then beable to go back into bios and change any settings.
Or if you still want boot disk try
click here

Waldoc85 19:12 04 May 2003

If you are useing XP you can amend the BIOS to boot from your XP Cd.

Rhuddlan 19:28 04 May 2003

I am using XP Home and have not got a XP CD, is there a way I can create a startup disk like in previous versions of windows, in other versions, you used to go into control panel, select the startup disk tab and create disk, I want this type of disk, the link you provided took me to website that provided a recovery boot disk, which I don't want, surley you must be able to create a startup disk in XP, thanks for the help, Rhuddlan.

clayton 19:39 04 May 2003

why did you change in the bios your setting to not installed, you need to go back into the bios & auto detect your hard drive & save the settings, startup disk is the same as a boot disk from bootdisk.com.

microswift 19:43 04 May 2003

Click on My Computer, right click on A:drive click on Format, select Create an MS-Dos startup disk.

DieSse 19:45 04 May 2003

Like clayton, I'm confused about what you're trying to do.

If you change your primary drive in the BIOS to "not installed" - then, of course you will get a boot failure.

If you change it back again, presumably the boot failure will go away - as would be expected!

Rhuddlan 23:18 04 May 2003

I have been advised to do this, as i'm trying to get ME on my computer as a second operating system, i won't XP on drive C and XP and ME on drive d,

Rhuddlan 23:21 04 May 2003

Sorry about the previous message, I didn't mean to press return, anyway as I was saying I want to do this without opening up the computer, I was told to create a startup disk for both XP and ME, I changed the settings in the BIOS for the primary master hard disk drive to not installed so that I could install ME on drive d without opening the computer up, thanks for the help.

DieSse 23:23 04 May 2003

Do you actually have two hard drives, or just two partitions on the same drive?

Rhuddlan 23:34 04 May 2003

I have two hard disk drives and won't to partition drive d so that I can get XP and ME on it, or more to my liking is there a way that I can have just ME on drive d and keep XP on drive c, thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?