bootmgr is missing in windows?

arminmckidd 10:09 09 Oct 2010

OK i have a PC with 3 hard drives and i want to replace one of them. But every time i remove that drive (western digital 1 TB) I get a message on boot-up that 'bootmgr is missing' press ctrl+alt+del to restart.

I tried the boot sequence in the BIOS but its adamant that the drive i removed be placed back.

I also tried different methods of fixing it such as using the windows 7 64-bit installation cd to fix any errors but that didnt work either.

I recently went into the drive and found a couple of files which i didnt put there myself and have never really noticed before. These files are .tmp files.. is that what its saying is missing each time i boot up with this drive?

I need to find out fairly quickly because I need to replace the western digital 1 TB drive because iv been getting a 'windows detected a hard disk problem' and 'because a disk failure will cause you to lose all programs' message on each boot-up.

Thanks for reading!

johndrew 10:24 09 Oct 2010

ave a look through these click here. I feel certain you will find the solution in one of the actions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:33 09 Oct 2010

Rt click the drive
>Properties>Tools>Check Now>find and fix errors - it will need you to reboot.

Many drive manufacturers have a bootable .iso you can d/l free and it will check and attempt to fix HDD errors.
Here's one for Seagate/Maxtor : click here

arminmckidd 10:43 09 Oct 2010

thanks johndrew!

'fruit bat' i tried that technique already but to no avail. I actually tried it many times but it gives me the same 'no problems were found on your device or disk. Its ready for use' message!

I still get the same back up your drive because of a disk failure message on bootup each time.

do i really need to replace the drive because its not giving a lot of reasons why there's a disk failure?

AndySD 08:05 10 Oct 2010

I use EasyBCD click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?