BootMGR Compressed press Ctrl-Alt-Delete

matt6808 12:27 06 Apr 2009

Hi, i've got a Dell Dimension 7100 Windows Xp with Intel Celeron D. It keeps sending me around in cirles with Ctrl-Alt-Delete command. I've googled this and and i see alot of ppl saying boot from cd. My problem is i didn't get a Xp cd with it. Any help much appreciated.

Sea Urchin 13:14 06 Apr 2009

Navigate to your C: drive and right-click - select Properties. Has the box become ticked for "Compress Drive to Save Disk Space"? If so, untick it and click Apply and OK.

matt6808 13:38 06 Apr 2009

Thanks for the response sea urchin. I found the C drive but can't right click it. I can only use the keyboard to enter F2 setup and F12 boot menu

Sea Urchin 14:07 06 Apr 2009

Can you get into Safe Mode - tapping F8 as you boot up - then you may be able to get to the C dive properties.

matt6808 14:24 06 Apr 2009

I tapped F8 and held F8 like Dell support suggested all i get is a bepping noise when i let go it goes to the same msg Ctrl-Alt-Delete. So frustating

woodchip 14:35 06 Apr 2009

Try F5

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:39 06 Apr 2009

BootMGR is only for vista not XP.

Not having the Vista install disc then the system builder might have created a hidden partition for the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). If this is the case then WinRE should be available when pressing the F8 key during startup (Like if booting into safemode).

2. Choose your language settings and click "Next"
3. On the bottom of the screen click the link "Repair Your Computer"
4. Select the Vista installation to repair and click "Next" and it will launch WinRE
* The "Load Drivers" button will open a mini Windows Explorer, which can be used to search for drivers in case they are needed to access disk drives or other components. This mini Explorer is also very handy to perform file copy/move operations and change file-attributes.

The following options are available in WinRE:

* Startup Repair - It will repair the boot manager files and restore critical files required for booting Windows Vista.

After attempting to repair the system it will display a Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log with the different Test Performed and the probably root cause.
* System Restore - Windows Vista automatically performs daily backups of system critical files and also before installation of drivers and applications. These backups are called system restore points, and this option makes it possible to restore the system state before the moment it started to fail.
* Windows Complete PC Restore - If having performed a backup of the entire system, then this option can be used to restore that backup.
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - Memory modules can be sensitive to things like working with other memory modules, system-bus frequencies, motherboard models, overclocking etc. When the memory modules fails to work properly then the computer will become unstable especially when under load. More Info Windows Help
o If wanting to access the Memory Diagnostic Tool without installing Vista first, then boot from the Vista Install Disk, and when it says "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD..." hold down the Space-bar or press it multiple times. This should bring up the Windows boot manager, which has "Windows Memory Diagnostic" as an option.
* Command Prompt - Pretty much the same as the Recovery Console. Among other things it gives access to the boot manager configuration. More Info MS KB 927392:
o Bootrec.exe /FixMbr - Rewrites the Master Boot Record (MBR) for the boot partition.
o Bootrec.exe /FixBoot - Rewrites the boot sector for the boot partition.
o Bootrec.exe /ScanOs - Scans all disk for bootable partitions and displays the entries not in the BCD store.
o Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd - Scans all disk for bootable partitions and allows one to decide what entries to rebuild the BCD store from (Similar to Bootcfg /rebuild in XP).
o BCDEdit.exe - Can backup / restore the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store. Can change the boot manager options for a certain entry in the BCD.
Note the old Recovery Console commands to work with services and drivers (LISTSVC, ENABLE, DISABLE) are no longer available, but instead one can use regedit to edit registry hive offline and change the startup setting for the service or driver.

matt6808 14:51 06 Apr 2009

Woodchip nothing happening with F5 i get the same response as F8. Fruit Bat its happening on my Windows XP. I messed around with a few things in F12 which caused more problems but i got things back to the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen. Here is the full msg on the screen-
Loading PBR For descriptor 2...done.
BOOTMGR is compressed
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:25 06 Apr 2009

Are you or have you dual booted with Vista?

matt6808 15:36 06 Apr 2009

No its just XP, the last thing i was doing with it was downloading music and watching a video. which was all fine the next morning this msg was on the screen.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:34 06 Apr 2009

OK further research on dell PCs suggests a corrupt partition, looks like you may loose all your data but a factory reset will get your machine running again.

However a few thing to try first
1 try Hot plugging the USB mouse and keyboard or a US pendrive before you get to the PBR message it may well kick it back to life.
2. you need to run chkdsk on your drives click here will allow you to download and make a boot disk with tools to check your drive and maybe recover your data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?