Boot.ini file and ATI

johndrew 14:42 16 Dec 2008

I have done a search for this information with no success and hope that someone here knows the answer.

I use Acronis TI to backup my system and wondered if there is any way of using it to repair the boot.ini file alone. I have search the ATI archive but have not seen the file anywhere - I expected it to be in the C:root if it was visible.

The reason I ask is that I have found that turning off the USB scanner sometimes corrupts/deletes the file necessitating a repair via the XP Repair Console - a longer task than would be a simple use of the ATI archive.

Thanks in anticipation.

BBW 14:58 16 Dec 2008

Why do you think your boot.ini file is faulty?
If you really need to repair it; 1st make a back up of it, then edit it using 'Notepad' or any text editor.

johndrew 16:25 16 Dec 2008

`Why do you think your boot.ini file is faulty?`

On boot between the BIOS and Windows screen it tells me the boot.ini is invalid and it is booting from C:Windows. This is not a particularly unusual fault and it has the corrective action I`ve outlined - but is long winded.

I should also point out that when the boot.ini file becomes corrupt, it is possible to access the backup (used by the C:Windows boot) but not (to my knowledge) easy to replace it by say a copy/paste process.

johndrew 20:06 16 Dec 2008

Having thought about this problem, there seem to be two answers:

1. Simply make a discrete backup of the boot.ini file using the `Files and Folders` option in ATI.

2. Copy the backup boot.ini file from C:\WINDOWS\pss to the root and re-name the file.

Suppose I should have thought it through in the first place!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?