Booting trouble after moving PC

HMCL 20:27 14 Apr 2007

Hi all.

I moved my PC a short ditance by car today and it wont boot up in its new location.

It only gets as far as identifying the BIOS and then the processor type, at which point it hangs up.

I have reseated RAM (and tried running with only 1 of the 2 sticks in place), reseated graphics card and reseated the processor.

No idea where to go from here so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you - Helen

birdface 20:37 14 Apr 2007

I dont suppose it will start in safe mode,If you can try last good configuration.

Technotiger 20:39 14 Apr 2007

Hi, reseated the Processor?? I assume that you used the proper paste when refitting it! It is very unusual to have to reseat the processor. Anyway, sounds more like a hard-drive fault or simply that ide cables may have become dislodged.

HMCL 20:41 14 Apr 2007

Ummm panic over.

This is an odd one, it was the mouse causing the problems.

Tried to think of anything different to my original setup and the mouse was the only thing.
At home I was using a ps/2 type mouse and the problems stemmed from using a USB type in the new location.

woodchip 20:43 14 Apr 2007

You need to check all plugs and sockets inside the comp. You should not need to check any settings if it worked before you moved it. With the Power Plug from the Wall socket hold the start switch in for one minute. then plug it in and try starting

Technotiger 20:44 14 Apr 2007
  Technotiger 20:47 14 Apr 2007

most peculiar, anyway, glad it is all ok now. Though I can't see how the mouse can make that much difference. Strange indeed.

HMCL 20:52 14 Apr 2007

TechnoTiger, thanks for that link but now im worried lol.

Tgere was paste visible on the surface of the processor when I pulled off that fan, does it need replacing everytime you do this ?

thanks

Technotiger 21:05 14 Apr 2007

It is preferable to refresh the paste when refitting a processor. It will still work without renewing the paste - for a while, until it overheats, then you may have trouble.

click here

HMCL 21:10 14 Apr 2007

ok thanks for that ill go and buy paste tommorow.

Best wishes - Helen

woodchip 21:13 14 Apr 2007

You only need to put past on if you removed the Heatsink from the CPU

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?