Booting from SATA DVD drive

ex-wirecutter 11:33 25 Mar 2009

I have a SATA DVD RW drive which works perfectly once Windows XP is loaded , however if I set my bios to boot from CD no matter what disk I try to boot from, even my setup disk . I get " not bootable disk " . As I say apart from this it reads and writes perfectly . Ideas please .

Pamy 22:34 25 Mar 2009

What is your setup disk?

ex-wirecutter 09:26 26 Mar 2009

Thanks for your reply ,any setup disk including Windows XP or any live CD such as Linux .

Pamy 09:39 26 Mar 2009

When trying to boot up from your windows XP disk, do you see the message saying "press any key to boot from CD"?

ex-wirecutter 12:44 26 Mar 2009

Yes , and I do , but just get the " not bootable disk" , to get round this I have installed an old CD rom drive as a slave , and everything works fine from that , same disks , same setup , just wondering why it wont work from the SATA drive .
Thanks .

Pamy 15:49 26 Mar 2009

Ah, now you have me. Must be something to do with the SATA instalation, what about drivers. Can you try your SATA in someone elses computer?

gazzaho 20:59 26 Mar 2009

Is it a pre SP1 XP disk? As far as I'm aware the earliest Versions of Windows XP don't or only have limited SATA drivers in order to install to a SATA hard drive for instance.

Did you check the BIOS for SATA configuration settings? Your BIOS are set to boot from optical drive first but is there a setting to configure SATA as IDE for instance?

I found this article with google that may help and/or explain a little more about your problem click here

ex-wirecutter 11:44 27 Mar 2009

Thanks all , especially gazzaho , that article you referred me to said it all . Sorted .!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?