booting up problems

wappa 15:05 29 Jul 2008

hi people,hope u can help,my sis pc has a major fault,on bootup it sticks with boot screen,i press del button and up comes the bios,i go out of bios and it starts to load then freezes,it has booted up a couple of times but continues to freeze straight away.also on the odd occasion it will boot and i blue screen appears then goes straight off and reboots,any possible causes? i think it could be low memory as it shows 479mb available,but could it be anything else
thanks for your time

Ditch999 15:34 29 Jul 2008

Is there any writing on the blue screen? If so copy it down and post it here.

What OS is it?

Do you have access to the OS restore disc or an OS disc like XP or Vista?

What make/model is the PC?

wappa 15:47 29 Jul 2008

it is on for a split second then reboots itself,it runs on xp home,i have my own xp disc,could i try that and do recovery module on it,is it f8 i hit to get into set up and boot from cd pls ditch?

Ditch999 16:18 29 Jul 2008

Try tapping F8 when you switch on PC. This should give you a number of options.
First one to try is "Last Known Good Configuration". Use the up down arrows to highlight it and hit Enter.
If this doesn't work see if the PC will start in "Safe Mode" using above method.

woodchip 16:20 29 Jul 2008

Have you tried booting Safe Mode then go to Run type MSCONFIG press enter to do a trouble shooting mode boot, As I think you have a Driver related Problem

woodchip 16:22 29 Jul 2008

First page of MSCONFIG tick Diagnostic startup. Then try booting the computer

wappa 16:32 29 Jul 2008

will do chaps,,but here is the blue screen message
machine_check_exception
code
0x0000009c (0x00000000,0x8054d570,0xb2000000,0x1020080f)
hope this helps

Ditch999 17:18 29 Jul 2008

Try Last known good configuration.
If it doesnt work then if you can get in to Safe Mode try woodchips advice although I think its hardware related, RAM, CPU or motherboard.

If no success with above then try removing memory and reseat one stick only, if you have more than one. If it still doesnt work and you have two sticks, take the one out of the PC and put the other one in.

Does the PC have a floppy drive?

wappa 17:22 29 Jul 2008

yes it has a floppy drive

Ditch999 17:32 29 Jul 2008

You could try downloading memtest click here (click free download at left) and install it to a floppy and set the pc to boot from floppy, to test the memory.

wappa 17:47 29 Jul 2008

tried thru safe mode,,now comes boot.ini,booting from c/windows,
wont boot at all now,doesnt even beep when button pressed,,but il keep tryin,aint beat me yet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?