Booting up problems

The Dazza 11:37 15 May 2006

A friend has a machine that has a problem powering up.When you switch it on it beeps a few times but no signal goes to the monitor.I have changed the power supply-same problem. I have tried a different graphics card-same problem (although I'm not 100% sure the replacement works). Any suggestions??

Diodorus Siculus 11:55 15 May 2006

Given that it is beeping, you can diagnose the problem:

PC Hell: BIOS Error Beep Codes
click here

BIOS Beep Codes
click here

What the beeps mean will differ according to the number and length.

The Dazza 12:06 15 May 2006

I have put the original graphics card back in and it now boots up.It loads windows xp and just at the stage it's about to show the desktop a blue screen flashes up really quickly and then reboots.This happens continually until you power off.

The Dazza 12:13 15 May 2006

after leaving the machine 5 minutes I have booted it up & is working fine now although is asking me for drivers for the graphics card.Any clues as to what is going on

The Dazza 12:44 15 May 2006

I have just tried booting the pc up and it came up with kernal_Data_inpage_error blue screen. Then when I rebooted it comes up boot failure, insert boot diskette in A.
Please help!

Diodorus Siculus 12:51 15 May 2006

Give some details of the operating system please

The Dazza 12:52 15 May 2006

Windows XP

Diodorus Siculus 12:54 15 May 2006

Do you have the XP CD? If so

click here
scannow sfc - how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) or, failing that, click here
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

The Dazza 13:31 15 May 2006

I cannot get the machine to boot up at the present so unable to use scannow sfc. So you think a xp repair may work?

Diodorus Siculus 13:44 15 May 2006

Yes, boot with the XP CD and choose a repair install.

The Dazza 14:22 15 May 2006

I'll get the disk & try that then. May take me a couple of days to get the disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?